Best Low Power 357 for Snubie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

writwing

Single-Sixer
What commercial 357 can you recommend for carry in an LCR? I am looking for loads that are lower power (38+P) and low blast and flash.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
As far as reduces power 357's I would recommend the 125 gr Remington Golden Saber. In a 4" test barrel golden sabers run around 1200 fps to 1400 for a regular 125 gr. In Ballistic testing though the Golden Sabers gave great expansion and penetration. Yes you will give up a little in a snubby but I feel that is a good compromise and will give you better results than 38 specials (even though I personally have no issue with 38's).

The Golden Saber 357 might be reduced but they still perform pretty good with a little less flash/blast compared to a full power 357 so whats not to like

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Most 'low-recoil' 357mag self defense loads really aren't much different from the full power loads. If you want like 38+p there are plenty of those self defense rounds. I like Federal 129gr Hydra-Shock.

Terry T

Buckeye
You might try these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469221927

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense

Terry T

OldePhart

Blackhawk
writwing said:
What commercial 357 can you recommend for carry in an LCR? I am looking for loads that are lower power (38+P) and low blast and flash.
I don't think any real .357 mag defensive round is going to be "low blast and flash" from a 1.875" barrel... Most commercial defensive loads even have a fair amount of both from my 4" model 19.

Even the "short barrel" defensive loads from some manufacturers don't seem to have less flash from very short barrels - the "short barrel" part of the description is really saying "the bullets are designed for good terminal performance even at the reduced velocities that are common from a short barrel."

Also, .357 (and .38) muzzle energy starts dropping off really rapidly under 4". Muzzle energy for .357 drops from around 600lbs at 4" to around 250-300 at 2". The decrease is similar for .38.

9mm on the other hand decreases lest drastically below 4" and at 2" there are several 9mm +P defensive rounds that deliver more muzzle energy than the .357 loads...and do so with much less blast, recoil, and flash. (This last part isn't going to help you in your quest for .357 ammo, but might be useful to someone who hasn't decided yet what they want to purchase for carry.)

phonejack

Single-Sixer
Might consider Blazer aluminum case .357. Loaded with a Speer 158. Several people have chrono'd it at around 900'. It's accurate

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I've played quite a bit with Hornady Critical Defense Lite 90grn 38Spcl's. They actually have the highest energy of any of Hornady's loadings, but with the lowest recoil. VERY well behaved in a Ruger LCR.

Alternatively, I also run 4.0grn of Bullseye under a 93grn Meister LRN in a .38spcl case, for a far lower cost.

pblanc

Bearcat
Since you said you were interested in a load for carry, I assume this is for self-defense. I am no expert but I know that some ballistics experts do not feel that .357 Magnum loads offer sufficient improvements in ballistic performance over 38 Special + P loads to mitigate their disadvantages when shot out of a short barrel, lightweight revolver.

One such expert is Dr. Gary Roberts who states: "There is no reason to go with .357 mag in a J-frame, as the significantly larger muzzle blast and flash, and harsher recoil of the .357 Magnum does not result in substantially improved terminal performance compared to the more controllable .38 Special bullets when fired from 2" barrels." Roberts recommends Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P (53921), specially designed for snubnose guns. Gary Cunningham, author of the Gun Digest Book of the Revolver, also considers the Speer Gold Dot 135gr .38 Special + P "the most efficient short barrel Special ammunition."

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In the absolute sense, a full power .357 does offer a meaningful increase in power , even in a short bbl. But as most of us know they also offer a meaningful increase in recoil , noise , and generally flash. Each shooter needs to work out for themselves which loads they can adaquately control with their gun , in their hands.

*What I interpet* of the OP's desire is for a "medium" level of recoil , and reasonably suitable for self defense. The better .38 +P loads are certainly on the menu, and for that matter there can be some overlap of recoil between the hottest .38 loads , and mild .357's .

Usaual suspects in .38 would include : Traditional 158 LHP +P , Buffalo Bore version of 158 LHP , 135 Gold Dot, CorBon 110gr +P , "Treasury Load" 110gr +P+ ( insert any personal bias of 11:54:14 AM vs heavy bullet). Of commonly seen mild .357 : Golden Sabre 125 , Industry standard 110gr jhp ( WWB most common , and goos price).

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Argh , can't edit on phone , and auto correct got me.

That was ( and insert any personal philosophical basias on LIGHT vs heavy bullets).

Personally I have used both 110gr ( mag & +P+) and 158 +P LHP for such usage , and been comfortable with either aproach.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I use Critical Defense 125 gr. in my LCR357 and Critical Defense 110 gr. .38 +P in my LCRX and both are manageable. The .38 +P are quire pleasant in the LCR357, and at the range i mostly use 125 gr. cast .38 spl. or 148 gr. wadCutters, both with good results.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
22/45 Fan said:
The best lower recoil .357 Mag loads I know about are sold as .38 Special or .38 Special +P
Agreed! I'd have no worries shooting hot 357s in my LCR in a self defense situation as I shoot them well. And you're unlikely to notice the recoil or noise when your adrenaline is pumping. But they beat the pi$$ out of me during practice! :shock: Personally, I practice with 38s and carry 38+Ps.

Charon

Single-Sixer
Way back when I got my first SP101 in .357 Magnum, I experimented with different bullet weights. I found that only the 158 grain bullets shot to vertical point of aim. Since then I have stuck to 158 grain bullets for both .357 and .38 Special. If your snubbie doesn't have adjustable sights, it might be worth while to do some experimenting to find out what bullet weight it likes.

chup

Bearcat
When my hands and wrists could take it I only shot mid range 357 from my LCR. Now I have backed off to 38+P.