5 Foot 5 inch, carry a vaquero 4 5/8?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

benvg123

Bearcat
I am a smaller built guy but I want to carry a Vaquero 4 5/8 357. I love the gun, I will become proficient with it, and love 357/ 38. I am wondering though do you think it is possible for a guy my size to carry a 10.25 inch pistol? If so what holsters do you know of that are nice. Thanks so much for the help means a bunch

-Ben

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I'm 5'6" and I pull off a FS .40 M&P Overall Length: 7.63". Your only talking 2.5" more. I do it OWB, I don't see why you can't? Holster for that I can't comment. I'm still trying to find holsters for my Security and Speed sixes.

benvg123

Bearcat
Ginzo thank you very much I think I can as well I just need to find a good holster for it. Do you IWB or?

Terry T

Buckeye
Wardrobe is key. You may have to buy a new set of clothes at least one or two sizes larger. Summer / hot weather seems to limit my options for a larger piece.
On a belt will require a substantial, even purpose built, belt. Not to mention you will want to carry a couple of reloads.
Terry T

benvg123

Bearcat
Yeah I am wondering what size pants I will have to have now. I will be in states with open carry but I highly doubt I will. I just want to find a good holster

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I'm OWB for both my .40's Pocket carry my J-frames, and STILL searching for the Rugers. They will get leather eventually. I'm not an IWB guy and of course FL is cc only. But like others have stated, belt is most important, and I can slide by on just a touch larger tee if that is the shirt of the day. I'm fluffy. 5'6" and about 190. BUT, I'm a solid fluffy............... :)

benvg123 said:
Ginzo thank you very much I think I can as well I just need to find a good holster for it. Do you IWB or?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Maybe it's just me but I don't see a nearly 5" barrel Vaquero for IWB carry no matter how big you are. I suppose it can be done but there are better candidates.

benvg123

Bearcat
I just love the look of them and would love to carry one. I don't expect to ever use it and I also have a mod 2 if I really want to conceal. I just love the look feel and shooting of it. Ginzo thank you very much for your replies they are very helpful. I guess just bigger shirts and pants would probably do

Barkis

Bearcat
I've tried this, although I am 6'1 and 200 lbs. Here is what I have found. I bought a Mernicle P6SA for belt carrying my NMBH .357. The gun is heavy and if you have no butt to hold up your pants, they will be dragged down. A pair of suspenders would help. The butt of the gun is the most troublesome because it prints, but it doesn't matter after your pants have fallen down.

Seriously, though, wearing the gun IWB with the butt of the gun at about 1 o'clock and the barrel angling toward your left pocket is the best way I've found to carry the NMBH concealed. The only trouble is the hammer digs mercilessly into my belly. I've not been able to find a holster to accommodate this mode of carry, although I have been in contact with N82 tactical inquiring about the possibility of using one of their IWB holsters manufactured for a large semi-auto (specifically the Glock 21 in their original series) to carry the gun. It would work. I've not gotten around to getting the holster yet. I bought one of their original series IWB holsters for my LCR and find that it does marvelously for concealing IWB when I am not carrying it in a coat pocket.

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear what your solution is.

benvg123

Bearcat
Barkis thanks for the response thats super helpful the one nice thing is I do not have a belly since I'm only about 155 pounds so that may help me out a tiny bit luckily. Ok I will look at their website and see how it is. I will keep you guys updated to tell you how it goes thanks for the help

The more info/ help the better

benvg123

Bearcat
Yeah I was thinking about a shoulder holster but I was also thinking about in the warmer months

benvg123

Bearcat
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Mernickle/Mvc-016f.jpg

I was also thinking something like this may work

mic214

Bearcat
I occasionally carry my Ruger original model Vaquero (.44mag) or my NM Vaquero (.44spl) in my "Tortilla Rig" by el Paso Saddlery. I usually wear a light shirt (Untucked) or vest to keep things concealed.

This is my .44 magnum Vaquero:

This is my .44spl New Vaquero:

I also will pack my 5-1/2" SBH in a Lobo gunleather pancake holster:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Hmmmm. Outer thigh holster and tearaway stripper's pants? (Sorry, just being facetious.) But, on the serious side, I think it will be pretty difficult to conceal a Vaquero with the pointy grips and such in in summer clothing. Even a Glock 26 can be a bit of a pain to conceal here in Texas in summer.

One thing to keep in mind, though. You say that you're proficient with the Vaquero...but is that proficiency as in standing at a firing line taking your time or is that proficiency as in "clawing the gun from a holster and rapidly shooting one handed from retention while possibly fending an assailant off with the weak hand?" The latter is a much more realistic self-defense scenario, IMHO. (Actually, not just IMHO...the shooting statistics both for LEOs and civilian carry support that.)

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
I just got a Western Star gun leather "concealed carry" OWB holster for my RNV short barrel TALO. Its new, just got it- but seems like it will work really well.

http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-handguns/hip-or-pocket-holsters/

http://www.westernstarleather.com/images/h158shlg_conceal_carry_short_holster.jpg

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I thought I would have something thought of on this by now for a 5 1/2 inch 45, but the Airweight 38 is just too easy to put in my pocket. Some kind of minimalist Yaqui slide type thing, thin Kydex maybe, appendix carry? Or do an OSS with a shoestring holster. Cut off the rear corner of the gripframe? Shudder I do at that.

Latest posts