44 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm not a big single action fan yet and don't have much experience with them, but I picked up a stainless Super Blackhawk with a 5.5" barrel on a deal I couldn't refuse. Is there some trick to getting the base pin and cylinder to line up when replacing the cylinder? I don't have a problem with my Blackhawk or Single-Six but this 44 is giving me fits. I have to keep fiddling and fiddling with it until the pin finally slides in. I really can't see what I'm doing differently when it works.

I'm okay if the answer is operator error and I'll just deal with it. :oops:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
It probably helps if you take up juggling!

My own method is to replace the cylinder into the frame while holding the base pin latch pushed in and press against the head of the base as I sort of rotate the cylinder. Once the pin finds the cylinder opening, push sort of quickly to seat the base pin.

Oh yeah, do this with the loading gate open!

Bob Wright

jbntx

Single-Sixer
It's one of those things you learn by doing. It gets easier the more you do it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Practice 'feeling' the cyl hand (pawl) has it drags over the cylinder ratchet while truing the cylinder forward. And focus on keeping the cyl in straight alignment with the barrel. That's the key to getting the pin in.

The end of the NM cyl pins with the plunger is pretty square. Rounding it slightly helps it 'find' and start into the cyl hole.
Polishing the pin can help as well.

Hope that's helpful,

Bob Wright said:
It probably helps if you take up juggling!

My own method is to replace the cylinder into the frame while holding the base pin latch pushed in and press against the head of the base as I sort of rotate the cylinder. Once the pin finds the cylinder opening, push sort of quickly to seat the base pin.

Oh yeah, do this with the loading gate open!

Bob Wright

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Some revolvers can be picky. I've pulled the pin in a store a few years ago and almost broke into a sweat before I got the pin back in. :oops: Maybe that's why you got the good deal??? :roll:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I don't feel so bad about it now. I'll just keeping working at it until I get 'skilled'. It's kind of a slow day so I took a picture of my somewhat random collection of single actions. I like stainless. The revolver in question is at the top.

Can you guess which one is not a Ruger? :mrgreen:

princeout

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Some revolvers can be picky. I've pulled the pin in a store a few years ago and almost broke into a sweat before I got the pin back in. :oops: Maybe that's why you got the good deal??? :roll:
Same thing happened to me at a gun shop with a little 32 H&R Single Six. Turned out the guy standing behind me was Alan Harton! Not one of my better days!
Tim