Looking to get a Stainless Blackhawk in .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Georgian

Bearcat
Hey yall. I have recently been interested in a stainless Ruger Blackhawk in .357, preferably in the 4 5/8" barrel. I have owned several Ruger firearms, and have always found Ruger firearms to be exceptional. I own a .357 Uberti Cattleman, but have always loved the look of the stainless, modern Blackhawk. The best price I have found at my locals dealers is $575 before taxes/fees, and $628 after. That price is nothing to sneeze at, although I know you normally get what you pay for. Is this a decent going price for this model Blackhawk, or should I just look on Gunbroker for a better deal?

Jim Puke

Hunter
I would look on Gunbroker...personally, I would look at used also and I almost always buy my guns off Gunbroker by making the dealer an offer through the "Question" feature on the ad.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Like Jim I also suggest shopping for a used one. Over the last few years I've seen used ones in LGSs priced as low as $350 and all the way up to $550. Most of them looked very good. I can't imagine one being worn out from firing.

Another thing to consider is waiting until one of the distributors markets a stainless mid-frame flat top .357. The regular .44 frame Black Hawk .357s are heavy for the caliber. So far most of the flat tops have had a smaller grip frame with less finger room so in addition to weight grip size preference is a consideration.

I have the same gun and I agree it's somewhat heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it for very long unless I had a very substantial holster system. However, with that weight it's very pleasant to shoot. I agree that you might find what you need in the used market. Unless it's been abused, it's not likely that a used Ruger revolver will be worn out.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
One just sold on one of the forums ( sorry , I visit several , can't place which one it was ). He was asking 525 ...it sold in a couple days. Don't know what it actually sold for ...but usually there's some negotiating involved..

regards , brushunter

REP1954

Blackhawk
The difference in weight is 1.6 oz. between the two guns. I think the geometry between the grip frames and panels is what makes the Anniversary model feel so lite. For me l have much better control with the Anniversary giving the illusion of a much lighter gun. On a few stainless Rugers I have spent an afternoon reshaping the grip frames and thinning the grip panels ending with what is my favorite grip fit. Within reason I feel that gun fit is more important than gun weight but both are ideal.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I had looked at a stainless 357 black hawk at a local shop not long ago if I remember right it was close to the 600$ mark , a bit excessive in my opinion . i'll stick with my blued 357 black hawk convertible its in good condition and paid for .

k22fan

Blackhawk
I didn't think about the flat tops' steel grip frames when I posted they would be significantly lighter. My mid-frame .357 is an oldie with an aluminum grip frame. It is a lot lighter. Perhaps if the O.P. wants a .357 that is lighter than a stainless BH a blued one might be worth considering. Almost all of them have aluminum grip frames. Any way, I'm one who posted stainless BH .357s feel heavy, not the O.P. He might just want the weight.

Georgian

Bearcat
Well, I orderd my very first Blackhawk in SS with the 4 5/8" barrel....can't wait to shoot her!

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I'm saving my pennies for one of these.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/0310.html

Enjoy your new Blackhawk and let us know how she shoots.

steenroller

Bearcat
You will enjoy it. I was in a gunshop just looking at the first of the year and saw one just like what you ordered. I had some trading stock so I picked it up. The price was just over 600 before the trade. I have had several others but this is the first short barreled .357 and I like the feel of it. I had to do a little filing on the back of the grip to reduce one of the sharp edges.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have an OM flattop .357 4 5/8" barrel that I find to be a highly useful revolver. I've thought a few times about having it made into a .44 special, but it's awfully handy as is (.38 wadcutters, snake shot, 125 gr. hollow points, all the way up to 173 gr. Keiths with a max charge of 2400 is a lot of versatility. The old model mid-frame with alloy gripframe and ERH keep the weight manageable (though I have the same gun converted to .44 special which is lighter yet). Heck, I just like 'em all when it comes to OM Blackhawks.

cjcutter1

Bearcat
I just paid $479.99 plus taxes and background check for a NIB blued 4 5/8" 357 Blackhawk. SS was what I wanted but this is what the shop had and I'm impatient and limited on free time so I went for it. Kinda like the blued version after all.

wizzard

Bearcat
Georgian, I... THINK... I saw one in cabelas in Gonzales this past weekend. Give 'em a call 225-743-3400