TALO... Engraved Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has anybody actually seen one of these?

With the recent discussion of BBQ guns, and the fact that I don't have one, I've considered something like this.

http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/specSheets/5157.html#zipSearch

WAYNO.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have never seen one in the flesh, but I did see one on gunbroker the other night. I like to looks, except for the 5.5" barrel...I would prefer the 4 5/8.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'd have a few thoughts, but haven't drawn a solid conclusion:

1) I have 4 Talo machine engraved models, the engraving looks great.

2) I'd prefer hand engraving, despite the extra expense.

3) Considering Items 1 & 2 - if I buy a new Vaquero stainless, it's $600, and it'd cost $600-800 to have it engraved = $1200-1400 total. The Talo model costs $840, so you're basically replacing $600-800 worth of hand engraving with $240 in machine engraving. Net savings = $400+.

4) The spirit of a BBQ gun, in my eyes, is something that should be quite unique. When someone points and asks - "ooh, what's that?" the resulting explanation should be lengthy and whimsical. Much like "the most interesting man in the world," the appearance of the BBQ gun should catch your attention, and the story behind it should hold it - as well as your envy. If I have my Talo Engraved SP101 or Walther/S&W PPK/S on my hip, I have to back-pedal a bit and say - "well, it's not REALLY engraved, it's machine engraved," and to me, that takes a little of the mystique and a little of the soul away. So if it's going to be a piece meant for showing off, it should have every bit of deserving back-story and artistry behind it that it can get. So I suppose that would be a motivation for me to spend extra on hand engraving for a BBQ gun.

5) The next most important thing, again in my eyes, about a BBQ gun is that - despite it's refined appearance - it MUST be a shooter. Not shooting it is like taking a long and lean, big busted blonde to the party on your arm, but admitting that you'd never taken a shot with it. I wear a decorative buckle on the front of my belt that reflects a rodeo that I've won by staying on the back of a bull - not something that I just bought at a store because it looked pretty. The gun on the side of my belt should be equally attractive, but equally weighty in implied "raw personality" and grit. So you best be shooting your BBQ guns!

So maybe after putting those thoughts on paper, I'd come to the conclusion that I'd pay the extra $400 to have a standard vaquero engraved by Scratch instead.

I'd also SBH the hammer, Bisley the trigger, and Birdshead the grip... Oh wait - that's pretty much exactly what my current 4 Vaquero projects will be! ;)

martyj

Blackhawk
Ive seen a couple of them and the dealer that had them was upset with Ruger for letting the lock drag on the cylinder on everyone of them them causing a ring around it when they showed up.
Nice looking guns though.

Thanks all.

Maybe it doesn't matter anyway, as I've attempted contact with three different FFL's to get me one, (two from this forum), and none have answered me.

WAYNO.

Updated...I found one! Thanks, ACRYLICTNK!

Ruger45

Blackhawk
My LGS had a used one. He got all stupid with his price tough (started tossing around that rare word)and it hung on his wall for at least 3 months before someone talked him down. ;)

Jim Puke

Hunter
WAYNO said:
Thanks all.

Maybe it doesn't matter anyway, as I've attempted contact with three different FFL's to get me one, (two from this forum), and none have answered me.

WAYNO.

Updated...I found one! Thanks, ACRYLICTNK!

Glad you found one.

ACRYLICTNK, is a great guy and dealer.

Heliman said:
Cool! :D Do we get to shoot this one too! 8) :D

Dave :wink:

Oh, I imagine we'll shoot it at least once. Remember all that .45 ammo I bought last week? :mrgreen:

Jim Luke said:
That looks might nice, to me.

You did good...now, let's cook some meat.

Cooking meat up here means lighting a gas grill on the patio. Not worthy of such a fine dress-up gun. I am envious of folks in the country that truly put on a BBQ. Next time I'm in Georgia, I'll bring the gun. You bring the BBQ and all your family and neighbors. 8)

WAYNO.

Jim Puke

Hunter
WAYNO said:
Jim Luke said:
That looks might nice, to me.

You did good...now, let's cook some meat.

Cooking meat up here means lighting a gas grill on the patio. Not worthy of such a fine dress-up gun. I am envious of folks in the country that truly put on a BBQ. Next time I'm in Georgia, I'll bring the gun. You bring the BBQ and all your family and neighbors. 8)

WAYNO.

Sounds like a plan to me.

We'll throw one of these piney woods rooter's on there and be ready to eat in short order.

Chance

Buckeye
Wayno

I have one in stock now and have sold 6 others. Some pics on our website
http://www.az6guns.com/Ruger-New-Vaquero-Deluxe-Engraved-Talo-Special-p/5157.htm

Larry
Az 6 Guns

black029

Single-Sixer
Now, put some ivory on it (or good faux stuff).
I just think nickel or highly polished SS looks best with ivory.

black029 said:
Now, put some ivory on it (or good faux stuff).
I just think nickel or highly polished SS looks best with ivory.

Ya mean like this? :mrgreen:

The factory supplied plywood (yes, laminated, :roll: I know I'll be corrected) grips benefited this gun in no way.

WAYNO.