Hammer Shim kits UPDATE COMPLETED!!!! Final Report 4-1-2015

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Just ordered hammer shim kits for both Rugers. Security Six, and speed six, from Lance @ MCO and Outdoors. If that goes well, then the kits for the hammer dog and trigger will be next. :D

Review to follow.

Chuck

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I sent him a question via e-mail last night. He answered it this morning! (Sunday). Can't wait to do the trigger(s). Already got an e-mail that they are processed today also for shipping.

Gotta get some gun grease this week like he does it in the video.

GP100man

Buckeye
Lance`s shims are the bees knees as far as takin the flop/slop out of a revolver & the best part is ya can order specific kits so ya don`t have to have an array of an assortment.

Have fun , be safe !!

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Here is the link to the website. It is awesome, it has video's everything. You can contact him by phone or e-mail. PROMPT replies. The most customer oriented company I have dealt with, and I didn't even get the parts yet.

Yes, he lets you order Exactly what you need, and if you snooze, (wrong size shims) the policy is just send it back with a $1.00 and get what you need. ie, you find your measurements were wrong, no problem, just contact him/them and get the right one!

http://triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Yes, I ordered some yoke and cylinder shims for my S&W model 19 from him. Very personable, very quick service. Definitely a recommended vendor in my book.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
No problem GilaMonster! I watched the video on measuring the hammer, no problem. Ordered the shims.

I wasn't sure how to measure hammer dog or trigger, so I shot him an e-mail and he, in plain English, explained how to do it, so when the hammer shims come, I will take the other measurements and order the rest of the shims as one set.

I'm excited to see the difference of an already fine action on both guns.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Hammer shims arrived today. Hope to install them Saturday and get the other measurements needed for the hammer dog and trigger kits. Fast Service!!

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Follow this link to the "official" website. Full of info and videos. Any questions can be answered here or directly to Lance by phone or e-mail. I think he works but is VERY prompt in replying. Finest kind!! :)

Ravenn said:
how does one determine the size shims needed?

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Thank goodness there are still some folks/businesses around like that.

Got a little doughnut shop in town, been in business 35 years, line out the door everyday. I still work, but on my days off, I'm there. They "open" at 5:00 AM. You get there at 4-4:30, the owner/doughnut "magician" opens the door and it's self serve. Leave your money on the counter, no questions asked. The girl comes in at 5, she knows who is who.
Addendum: They donate any leftover doughnuts from the day. Next morning, they go to several churches/homeless coalitions. (Don't have leftovers often).

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=abbeys+donuts&lrd=0x88c35484ef438585:0xd8d7fe41fb766091,1

I'm 56, and a handshake will still do it for me. Unfortunately, people like us, (like here for example) are becoming fewer and fewer.

Chuckbuster II said:
Working with Lance is like working with someone from "The Good Old Days" :)

Ravenn

Bearcat
ginzo said:
Follow this link to the "official" website. Full of info and videos. Any questions can be answered here or directly to Lance by phone or e-mail. I think he works but is VERY prompt in replying. Finest kind!! :)

Ravenn said:

Thank you sir!

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Installed the hammer shims on both guns yesterday. Hard to perceive .012" (.006") per side in pull/action. The hammers are now centered in the frame.

Just ordered the hammer dog and trigger shims a few minutes ago. After it is said and done. The range will be the determining factor. For the small cost, even a perceived difference in your head will make a difference!

Do yourself a favor and just order all of it at once. If not, it's kinda like only changing half the oil in your car. :roll:

Ravenn said:
ginzo said:

Ravenn said:

Thank you sir!

ginzo

Single-Sixer
Finally got all the shims installed. Here are the final results.

Security Six, .357 Magnum 4" Blued
I installed all the shims following your (Lance's) excellent video series, polished all the internals per the SP101 tutorial. (Modified as needed to fit six series).

The trigger is smooth as butter in both DA/SA. I love that I can "stack" the trigger in DA with no hitch in pull. SA has always been close to perfect. I don't have a trigger pull gauge as I don't have an issue with pull weights.
Just by dry fire and sight picture, it looks as though my shot groups will be much tighter in DA. The range will tell, but I feel confident that the shims you provide go a LONG way in making a good gun GREAT!!!

Speed Six .38 SP 2 ¾" Stainless
The same overall results go for this gun.
Did not install shims for trigger. (At 1st.)
The only caveat was/is:
The gap in the trigger to housing was/is .006". I ordered 2 each .002" shims to leave a gap of .002" You live dangerously trying to make it perfect!

You know that in the six series triggers, there is a "sleeve" that passes through the trigger for the mounting pin to go through. Then, the trigger goes up in the housing and the pin passes through the dog ears and trigger.

I got both the shims mounted, put the trigger back together, no binding nothing, smooth etc. As soon as I actually put the trigger housing into the frame, the trigger would pull but hang up and not reset. I took it back out, works perfect, back in the frame, hangs up. Yada, yada!
So now I remove 1 shim, being lefty, I put it on the right side, same result. Now I put 1 on the left side and remove the right 1. Same result. I guess this gun doesn't want trigger shims!!!

So, out they come. I realize going to the minimum of .002" was a risk, but I wanted to give it a try. This action is just every bit as smooth as the Security six, and I expect the same results when I go to the range. E-mailed Lance back and forth and we came up with a solution and now the trigger is shimmed also!!!

I'm 100% satisfied with the shims and recommend this product whole heartedly to anyone who wishes to use them. I couldn't ask for better service. For the price, the overall improvement is without a doubt the BEST money I've ever spent on an upgrade.

I have the measurements I had to work with if anyone would like to compare, but Lance's videos are easy to follow, and the math is fairly simple. Just don't try to go under the tolerances he recommends or you won't get the results you need/want. If some is good, more ISN"T always better!!! Take my advice on that!!! :oops:

Best Regards,
Chuck :D

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Good...I love it when a plan comes together. :)

I ordered shims and springs for my SP-101 a couple of days ago. I don't have a way to measure clearances really tightly and the shims aren't expensive so I just ordered a set of various sizes and will fit by trial and error. My son-in-law has an SP-101 (and just bought a GP-100 today) so any extra shims probably won't go to waste.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
True, they are inexpensive enough (the shims), but a cheap automotive feeler gauge from the local parts house would solve your measurement issue. And man those little suckers are HARD to handle with my average size hands. I don't know how they stamp them out, then bag an order. That's worth the price of admission just to watch that!!

I had a bag of 4, carefully poured out 2 onto a giant white towel, then checked the package for the remaining 2. Well, holy cow, I only see one in the package. The search is on!!! I'm like where is it? I had to get a magnet to separate them as 3 came out onto the towel.

So for me, 1 install per gun is plenty!!! LOL BUT, worth it!!!! :wink:

OldePhart said:
Good...I love it when a plan comes together. :)

I ordered shims and springs for my SP-101 a couple of days ago. I don't have a way to measure clearances really tightly and the shims aren't expensive so I just ordered a set of various sizes and will fit by trial and error. My son-in-law has an SP-101 (and just bought a GP-100 today) so any extra shims probably won't go to waste.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
LOL. I probably have a set of feeler gages sitting around somewhere but I'd have to go through a half-dozen toolboxes to find them...and then they'd probably be rusted shut as I haven't used them in years.

I've had the SP-101 apart enough times now that I'm getting pretty good at it...takes me about three or four minutes to strip down to having the trigger assembly in parts and about twice that to get it all put back together and ready to shoot...and I've only had the pawl spring launch into orbit once (first time...learned my lesson after that).

The springs and shims arrived today so hopefully tomorrow evening I'll have time to find the right shims and the first trial on the springs. Going for an 8lb trigger spring and 12lb hammer spring. If that resets and fires reliably I won't go any lighter since it is a carry gun. If it isn't absolutely reliable I'll go back to stock on the springs as needed.

Latest posts