10½ inch Bisley 44 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hammer1

Bearcat
Did Ruger ever make the Bisley in a 10½ inch barrel model for IHMSA metallic silhouette shooting ?

I have the 44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk 10½ inch silhouette shooting model.

And know that some have put Bisley grip frames, hammers, and triggers on their conventional Super Blackhawk model.

But were any ever shipped straight from the factory that way ?

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I've always wanted to add a Bisley grip frame to my 10.5" SB.
I just never got around to it yet. If I do it one day will it just bolt right up or will fitting be required?

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Bisley grip frame screws directly to New Model SBH. "Ears" at top of grip frame must be blended to frame. Radius of cylinder frame where the grip frame mates differs slightly between SBH and Bisley BH, which doesn't seem to bother most who swap grip frames. A blued Bisley grip frame wants to be blued after it is blended to the SBH frame. Bill Ruger wanted to introduce the .357 Maximum with his version of Bisley grip frame. The idea was dropped in the rush to release the Maximum. Further, Ruger intended that SBH and his as yet unfinished Bisley grip be completely interchangeable. Didn't work out that way. The Maximum was released in 1982.

As others have stated, SBHs were not shipped with the Bisley grip frame.

The first 10-1/2" SBH----S410N----"Silhouette Super" was released in 1979. It has a high polish blue, a tapered 10-1/2" barrel with soldered ramp sight, and standard ejector assembly.

The stainless KS411N followed in 1983, with 10-1/2" bullet barrel, screw-on target front sight, and long (albeit stainless steel") ejector assembly borrowed from the .357 Maximum. Became known among silhouetters as the "Silver Hornpipe."

Released right after the "Silver Hornpipe," the S411N is the same revolver in polished blue. The Maximum ejector housing is anodized aluminum.

Thus, there are three 10-1/2" silhouette model SBHs. And, while "model" wasn't an official designation, everyone referred to these revolvers as "silhouette model."
David Bradshaw

G2

Hunter
I built this a few years back, Built it thinking it would help with the finge/nuckle wack but there is less room between a bisley than there is in a SBH Grip Frame. I have since learned how to hold the SBH GF no longer experiencing the WACK!
Ended up trading it for my first 32 Mag Bisley.
I have since replaced it with another tapered barrel 10.5" but going to leave it as built with the Super Dragoon Grip Frame.
rsbbt.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010038.jpg

mic214

Bearcat
G2 said:
I built this a few years back, Built it thinking it would help with the finge/nuckle wack but there is less room between a bisley than there is in a SBH Grip Frame. I have since learned how to hold the SBH GF no longer experiencing the WACK!
Ended up trading it for my first 32 Mag Bisley.
I have since replaced it with another tapered barrel 10.5" but going to leave it as built with the Super Dragoon Grip Frame.

Wow, that is a beauty!

mic214

Bearcat
Bucks Owin said:
mic214 said:
I think a 10-1/2" Bisley in .44 magnum would be one heck of a long range pistola:)!

But no more accurate than the "plowhandle" version. I have no problem with the current model, but then again I GRIP it... :wink:

Agreed, with my "Plow handled" SBH I could hit the 100 yard steel plate off the bench with ease. I just like the feel and balance that the Bisley grip gives to the Ruger single actions..... :D

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
G2.... good work. You did a fine job of blending the Bisley grip frame to the SBH cylinder frame, something often missed in custom work. Looks like revolver pictured has standard ejector housing. I had asked Bill Ruger, Jr., to put long ejectors on the SRM .357 Maximums to completely extract 1.605-inch Maximum brass. While we were at work on the Maximum, Bill, Jr., had two stainless prototype SBH's made----7-1/2" and 10-1/2". The prototype .44's had shorter than production SBH cylinders. We shot them at the Ruger farm. After zeroing at 50 yards, I stretched back in Creedmoor. Ruger on the spotting scope. Put 5x5 Federal 44A 240 JHP's into 2.7-inches @ 100 yards, with 4x5 in a 0.7-inch horizontal hole! "You leaked one," says Ruger.

Both stainless prototypes had tapered barrels and ramp front sights and, almost certain, the standard length ejector. We quickly decided the silhouette version should have a bull barrel, screw-on target front sight, and a stainless Maximum ejector. The silhouette version reached production as the KS411N and on its first outing set wrote the International Revolver Record.

Curious to know whether your revolver has the standard ejector. If so, how did it get there?
David Bradshaw

G2

Hunter
David,,,

This one was/is one of the first stainless guns made, with taper barrel, standard ERH, and ramped front sight blade. I changed out the front sight blade too.

The taper is so slight but does give the gun a nice look, the bull barrel guns (KS411N) don't look as nice IMO.

I'm not sure on the total, but the taper barrels KS410N are kinda rare. IIRC less than 1000. I know I have heard the number and I'm sure RENE has the hard facts.

Thank you for the compliment on the fitment of the Bisley transistion, it took some time but in the end it did turn out nice.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
G2.... having shot the short-cylinder prototype for your KS410N, I was unaware that a tapered stainless 10-1/2" reached production at all.
David Bradshaw