Ruger Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Ok, so I head to my LGS to pick up an SP101 22lr, and find a nice Security Six.
I didn't grab it, and ended up thinking about that gun all night. My LGS never has any good used guns, and at $325 I knew I had to go back this morning and bring this one home. I was surprised when they pulled out the original box, manual, and grip! Condition looks very, very good! Judge for yourself. (Yes, I got the 22lr too!)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Very lucky! Looks like a late '70s gun in 95+% condition at yesterday's pricing!
Great snag. I would have not let go until the sales receipt was in my hand.

Terry T

Buckeye
Hmmm....neither grip in the photos are original to the gun.
The rubber grip is off of a GP-100. The 'Big Grip' on the gun wasn't offered until later and is usually marked on the box end label.
The original 'skinny' grips show up on e-bay every day.

That being said, WOW! Very nice piece in great condition with its box for a 'song', in my opinion. Well done!
Terry T

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Well, I picked up the .22 right before closing. I kept looking at that Security Six and completely ignored my poor new SP101. I honestly thought about that gun all night, and woke up thinking about it! Pathetic I know. I saw a small sticker on the price tag that said "GB". I kept thinking, is that Gun Broker? Maybe they have it listed! Damn I thought! I went in this morning when they opened at 10am, and there it sat. I saw a little something in the bore and had them swab it. It was just a little fouling. We have three pretty big gun stores around here and this one always has the highest prices. Like I said, I never see used guns worth buying around here. I was excited to get the deal!

You guys make it all the better. Thanks for the kind words.

Can I call Ruger and get the date of mfg? Serial # 152-877## (EDIT: 1977)

I'm also thinking about a 14lb hammer spring. The double action trigger pull is very heavy! Thoughts??
http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/DOUBLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID230

holo07

Single-Sixer
I would have bought that so fast my money would have caught on fire. I think you stole that one

As the others said, that is a VERY good price for everything you received. I'd be interested in knowing if those were the full sized GP grips or the smaller size. Either way, that style GP grip is a much sought after grip.

These things never happen to me!
I am sooooo jealous!!
Congratulations! You probably should have bought a lottery ticket that same time, but maybe you used up your good luck allotment on that sweet Six!

contender

Ruger Guru
We usually call folks like you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THIEF! :D

Nice going there! You got a good one. So you lost a little sleep. So what? Heck, I'd loose a lot more sleep if I DIDN'T get it like that.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
I have an LCR, 3 SP101's, and a GP100...but I have to say there is something different. This older gun really feels better built. It is so solid and tight. My Wife says I've been carrying it around like Frank on Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I'm not sure that's a compliment.

BTW, I went crazy and spent $8.28 delivered for a 14lb hammer spring from Wolff. I suppose if this extensive modification doesn't work out, I can always put the original back in.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
Hmmm....neither grip in the photos are original to the gun.
The rubber grip is off of a GP-100. Terry T

RoninPA said:
Either way, that style GP grip is a much sought after grip.

Terry T said:
That is the full sized GP-100 grip, not the compact.
Terry T

Thanks for the info guys. Must have sold the grip too cheap. Gone in under 24 hours!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161581574850?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1587.l2649

Either way, I just got a little back on an already great deal! :mrgreen:

GhosT

Blackhawk
jjmIII_Ruger,

Ya kinda pissed me off,cause now in envy mode.

Decades ago, traded away a new stainless 6" Security Six.
Think just last month,finally got over over that bad trade.

Seeing yours , pissed off all over again.

LOL,
KUDO's on a great purchase!!!!!!