Steel bird head grip frame for old model Single Six ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pre-1898

Bearcat
Hi guys & gals, I recently purchase a nice Ruger Single Six old model and I would like to put a bird head grip frame (preferably steel made) on it. The only problem is that the only place I could find are back order and they only have them for the New Model.

Can anyone tell me where I could find one for an old model ? worst case I would settle for a brass or alluminum one but would prefer steel if possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Check with Power Custom, they are the only people I know of who have a steel old model grip frame and I do not think it is birdshead BUT it can be reshaped into a birds head. I did it to the brass version of the same grip frame and made it into a brass birdshead for my old model.

Obviously it is the gun on the left.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Pre-1898 said:
Hi guys & gals, I recently purchase a nice Ruger Single Six old model and I would like to put a bird head grip frame (preferably steel made) on it. The only problem is that the only place I could find are back order and they only have them for the New Model.

Can anyone tell me where I could find one for an old model ? worst case I would settle for a brass or alluminum one but would prefer steel if possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Welcome to the forum!

It's a piece of cake, a fairly easy swap. I put steel Ruger NM steel grip frames on all my OMs. (and OM grip frames on NMs). Here's a couple of OMs with NM steel grips frames:
Notice the ears on this birdshead around the hammer still need to fitted to the main frame:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ruger didn't make any OM Birdshead grip frames. NM birdshead grip frames from Ruger are carbon or stainless steel, will come in the rough, and are a lot of work to fit to your gun, then you'll have to get it blued or polish the stainless GF. Best way to get a Birdshead GF and grips is to buy a used 'take off' either blue or stainless (there are none made of aluminum alloy); post a 'Want To Buy' in this forum's classifieds, or search ebay and Gunbroker.

As Robb posted, Power Customs does make a 2 piece (like a Colt) for about $200 and they are top quality. I have used them. There are no modifications or any other parts needed (except grips) to go on an OM. But they are not ready to just screw on, they take final match fitting to your OM main frame, the rear corner must be ground off for a birdshead shape, and they'll need to be blued or polished if you choose the stainless version which is $30 more.

ADAPTING A NM RUGER GF TO AN OM THREE SCREW:

THINGS TO KNOW:
In general: All Ruger SA grip frames including SBH Dragoon, Old Army, Bisley and Birdshead (excluding Bearcats of course) will interchange from the standpoint of the screw pattern from Single Six to Super BH, Old Model to New Model, and even NM to OM.

All the screws, mainspring/spring seat/strut, and pins can be transferred over from your OM Grip Frame.

TRIGGER AND RETURN SPRING OPTIONS:
You can use the NM trigger return spring on old model guns with a Clements adapter trigger. That's the easiest way and the trigger is wide enough to fit the wide trigger slot in all NM and birdshead grip frames.
___________________________Clements adapter triggers are the center two_________________________
OM trigger__________________standard____&____Bisley w/over travel stop__________________NM Bisley

large.jpg

They are $45 and are a 'drop in'. http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

The other option is to use your OM trigger and return spring/plunger. The OM Super BH triggers are wide to fill the wide slot in the NM GF, but hard to find and more than $45 if you do:
orig.jpg

And you'll need to make this small adapter to fit in the NM GF behind the trigger to hold your OM trigger and return spring/plunger.
orig.jpg

THE GRIP FRAME EARS:
NM & Birdshead grip frames will need fitting to match the grip frame 'ears' to the OM main frame.
Below are photos of the ears around the base of the hammer To simplify production in about 1997, Ruger increased the height of the standard cylinder frame mating surfaces on both sides of the hammer 1/16" to match the Bisley model frame ears so any style grip frame could be assembled to any main frame. All the birdshead GFs have tall ears. When you match the GF ears to your OM frame you can match them to the base of the hammer at the same and get a nice flush fit.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Any questions, just ask. Hope this is helpful,

tomc

Bearcat
Hi Pre-1898
I have a brass Qualite birds head grip frame for the Ruger Old Model. I purchased it years ago, screwed it on to my Single Six, found I did not like the feel of it, and removed it. The birds head is not for me. The grip frame is as new in it's original packaging. As you know, it's oversize and will require fitting and polishing. I also purchased a brass ejector rod housing to go with it.
If you're interested, I am asking $225.00 for both, insured and shipped to the lower 48. Best bet is to email me at [email protected]
Thanks..