.41 mag love

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I really love shooting my .41mag NMB, especially with Underwood ammo. It's such a sweetie. Gives a nice push, accurate & reliable; kinda like a good woman :wink: . The only problem is it costs about $1/shot, so can't afford to take her out much. Kobe steak on a Burger King budget. :roll:

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
had I not taken up reloading the last 4 years I wouldn't be shooting much .357 mag or .44 mag, and .41 mag is on my "short list" :)

jd

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a 41 Mag. recently. It's a joy to shoot and extremely accurate. I do a little reloading, the 41 will be the my first attempt at a pistol cartridge.

Jim Puke

Hunter
If I didn't cast bullets and reload...I would be broke or divorced...or both. As an example, I have been shooting these bigbore's more than 200rds a week for the past month...can't fathom having to buy factory ammo in any quantity.

I am going to help myself with this ammo thing a little, though. I am going to divest myself of all but one 45 colt and I probably won't shoot that one any...just keep it to have one...but should help with amount of casting and reloading, some.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
When I first started reloading, 40+ years ago, it was because I couldn't afford to shoot anything other than .22's, if I didn't.
Now, the flexibility is equally important. I can tailor loads for a specific gun. I can load numerous bullet styles, weights and at power levels not available in factory ammo.
When ammo, any ammo, was unavailable, I was always able to cobble together something that would shove a bullet out of a handgun barrel. It wasn't always the optimum combination but it was safe and it worked.
The .41mag is one of my favorite handgun cartridges. If not for reloading, I never would have owned one.

choirboy

Bearcat
I have been shooting the .41 mag for over 20 years. I've never seen a factory .41 mag cartridge in person. :D

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Got my first 41, a Blachawk, in 1982. Bought a box of ammo and that was my motivation to start reloading. Been reloading and shooting 41's ever since.

Dan

Don Lovel

Hunter
The 4 5/8 Bisley in my Avatar is a 41 mag pawnshop rescue Blackhawk that some nimrod used a grinder on the stock frame to try and make finger grooves.
I converted it into a Bisley, carried it with Winchester 210 JSP.
I bought a bunch of 41 ammo back when nobody wanted it. Enjoyed shooting that little Bisley, a TC 14" Contender, 8 3/8 S&W Model 57 and a 5" Stainless Redhawk, all in 41 over the years. Only 41 cal I never got to play with I really wanted to was a Marlin 1897FG with Ballard rifle cut octagon barrel. Never got to put my hands on one. I was shooting 275gr SSK LBT loads in those days, I always thought they would be great out of a lever rifle

I have been shooting the .41 mag for over 20 years. I've never seen a factory .41 mag cartridge in person.

Exactly what I was going to say! I have several of them and I've never gotten around to buying any factory ammo. Very simple round to reload. Lots of bullet choices.

Gregg

great cartridge and my gunsmith Walt, just loves it.Just yesterday I was holding for my 'late' friend, Fred Price, retired Navy Seabee and Vietnam Vet, passed away Nov 28,14, recently, and his wife had me 'hold' his .41 mag custom OM cut down Blackhawk, an 1894 Marlin in .41 mag and his T/C 41 mag, gave them all to Freds nephew, Chris, Fred wanted it that way............
Thanks for reminding about Fred, will always miss him and his .41 Mags.......... :(

Enjoy yours........... :wink:

Arky

Single-Sixer
Don Lovel said:
The 4 5/8 Bisley in my Avatar is a 41 mag pawnshop rescue Blackhawk that some nimrod used a grinder on the stock frame to try and make finger grooves.
I converted it into a Bisley, carried it with Winchester 210 JSP.
I bought a bunch of 41 ammo back when nobody wanted it. Enjoyed shooting that little Bisley, a TC 14" Contender, 8 3/8 S&W Model 57 and a 5" Stainless Redhawk, all in 41 over the years. Only 41 cal I never got to play with I really wanted to was a Marlin 1897FG with Ballard rifle cut octagon barrel. Never got to put my hands on one. I was shooting 275gr SSK LBT loads in those days, I always thought they would be great out of a lever rifle

There is an FG for sale over on the Marlinowners forum. It has a scope and ammo with it and do not know if they would break the gun out or not. All I know is I can't afford it right now.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Gotta agree, it's a hellofa caliber and sixgun but only if you reload. Take the plunge and get set up for loading your own, you'll never regret it. I've owned two NM BH's over the years, one standard 6-1/2" bbl'd model and the other is one of my pride and joys...a Flat Top 6-1/2". Both are more accurate than I can hold with my own loads, and run well from 750 to 1350+fps. And my Smith M57 is equally good.

Cast bullets from straight wheel weights are good up to ~1100 fps, but beyond that, in my experience, a gas check is necessary, and therein lies the problem...in the past, GC's that fit have been virtually unobtainable. Jacketed bullets, on the other hand, are no problem with Hornady and Speer offering good designs. My current favorite, Hornady's excellent 210 gr XTP, will easily drop 6 of them into a nice tight cluster of less than an inch and a quarter at 25 yds. It's my deer load and clocks 1325 fps over my PACT chrono. And while I've yet to get my winter's venison with the .41, I'm confident that it's got all the punch I'll need.

Cases, locally here in Louisville KY, have been available at the twice yearly big gun shows. Primers are a non issue as well. For powder, I've yet to find a caliber so adaptable; Bullseye, Win 231, HP38, Unique, Herco, 4227, H-110, Win 296, and 2400 have all done well for me over the years.

So...I'm a fanboy of the great .41 Magnum...great in Rugers, as good in S&W's M57...it's one of my three favorite calibers...Here's a pic of the Flat Top...the other is of a representative tgt shot with the standard model.

Best Regards, Rod

Arky

Single-Sixer
You guys are making me drool. I love the .41 and have a model 57, an SBH 5 1/2 in Bisley (accusport). and a Tarus Tracker. I am too lazy to post pictures on this forum and do not have one of the Tarus anyway. Having a tarus is kind of like owning a Dodge truck. No matter how good it is, you just can't bring yourself to brag about it. Mine has an action job and is my everyday truck/woods carry gun. The Bisley is a really nice gun but I shoot the 57 (round grip with combats) better than anything I own.