MagnaPort Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Does anyone here have a magnaport predator pkg on a ruger SBH or any magnaport work done? Looking for pics and reviews ..

whichwatch

Blackhawk
I too would like to see some pictures. I have a SBH that is 4 5/8" from the factory and have considered having the Predator conversion done to it. Can't decide on the barrel porting however.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
A long time ago I had a super blackhawk barrell shortened to 5" and magna ported.
Here's what I learned.
1. For the porting to work, you have to use full power loads. Less powerful=less the porting will work at reducing muzzle flip.
2. People on either side of you at the range will move away.
3. WITH FULL POWER LOADS IT IS UNGODLY LOUD!
Earplugs and muffs are a good idea.
It was a mistake for me, wish I hadn't done that to a perfectly good pistol.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I fired a magna ported SBH once, with a genuine hunting load. The owner was getting ready to hunt black bears with it. It flipped a little less than my regular SBH, but the blast was huge. I didn't like it. The tradeoff was bad, considering that wearing ear plugs in a bear hunt is not my idea of safe. I have to admit that the blast coming out of those grooves when firing a full load of H110 in the pre-dawn should be impressive.

My opinion. I could be worng.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
phonejack said:
A long time ago I had a super blackhawk barrell shortened to 5" and magna ported.
Here's what I learned.
1. For the porting to work, you have to use full power loads. Less powerful=less the porting will work at reducing muzzle flip.
2. People on either side of you at the range will move away.
3. WITH FULL POWER LOADS IT IS UNGODLY LOUD!
Earplugs and muffs are a good idea.
It was a mistake for me, wish I hadn't done that to a perfectly good pistol.

No pun intended but I have heard that the blast with porting can almost, if not outweigh the advantage of porting.
I may opt for just the action job, C-Mor front sight and the barrel crown.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I just sold a 1991 with the Clark Custom Guns .460 Rowland barrel. Clark will not sell the barrel without their compensator. It definitely works for reducing recoil, but my God it's LOUD. I now have a SRH .480 Ruger with a Mag-na-ported barrel - 4 ports. It also seems to work very well at reducing recoil, but certainly is not as loud as the .460. So far, I like it - a lot.

I have had 2 blackhawks magnaported and regret doing both of them. In fact, I do not own either of them any longer. I did not notice any measurable reduction in muzzle riser but I sure as heck did notice the increase in noise. Here is a picture of the old model 41 that I gave my son.