GP100 in 38sp.....bore to .357mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jptopdwn

Single-Sixer
I picked up a GP100 in 38sp, 3" barrel, adjustable sights. Would there be any reason not to have it bored out to shoot 357mag?

Terry T

Buckeye
Collector value. Those are quite uncommon, if not 'rare'.

I'd suggest watching for an extra .357 mag. cylinder on E-bay or Gunbroker.com. Should be a swap in.
The gun parts are showing up from confiscated firearms that have the frames chopped (gun destroyed) and then the remains are sold as junk to folks who dismantle the guns and re-sell the parts.

Then, of course, keep the original cylinder handy for when you tire of the piece and want to sell it.
Just my $0.02 worth,
Terry T

edited to: Found one for you: :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-GP100-357-Magnum-STAINLESS-CYLINDER-and-CRANE-/261705063653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ceed65ce5

Might not cost much more than the bore job.
Terry T

hittman

Staff member
Terry T said:
Collector value. Those are quite uncommon, if not 'rare'.

+100!

I'd love to find one of those and you have one you want to "modify". Just my luck. :lol:

s4s4u

Hunter
Would there be any reason not to have it bored out to shoot 357mag?

What do you want to do with it? There isn't much that the 357 gives over a maxed out 38 special load from a snubby, not that you'd need any more for personal defense. If you plan to hunt or use for bear backup then I'd suggest looking for a spare cylinder, or seat long and load up the 38 to that level.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
The .38 spl cylinder in that gun might not be strong enough for a .357, and it might not be long enough either. It all depends on whether they used the same cylinder in both guns. My guess is that even if you had a .357 cylinder, it might not fit because the barrel extension could be different (longer) on a .38. Another minor problem is that cylinders don't just drop into any frame unless they are hand fit. It would be interesting to take measurements of a standard GP100 cylinder to see if the .38 is different. Just a few details to consider.

Carry_Up

Terry T

Buckeye
"Carry-Up",
I've had good luck swapping cylinders in Ruger double actions without them requiring hand fitting . That said, yes, there MAY be some fitting required, but not always.
I believe, without getting out all my .38 spl and .357 mag. GP-100s, that the cylinders are the same length therefore the barrel extension would be the same on a .38 as a .357.

I stick by my suggestion to get a second cylinder in .357 mag.
Terry T

wolfee

Blackhawk
JP, I waited years to find a nib 38 configured the way I wanted one. I agree with those that say trading for a 357 makes more sense. btw, note that the test fire empty case provided with the gun is a 38+p. I'm pretty sure you get a 357 strength cylinder but you don't KNOW that. Ruger is so cost conscious now (ie 9e vs sr9) maybe they do have a heat treat process for the 38's that saves a nickel and delivers a piece of steel a little less robust.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
.....Those are quite uncommon, if not 'rare'. ....

Ruger has recently released a batch of the 38 Special GP-100's with adjustable sights and a 3-inch barrel.

Davidsons has about 65 of them still left. They are model 1751.

jptopdwn

Single-Sixer
Okay........I will refrain from boring it out to .357. I already have a 3" fixed sight model in .357. Thanks for helping me see the light!

jjc333

Bearcat
Boring out is not the correct term. The cylinder simply needs to be reamed. Reaming dies are made just for this and cost about $40. Check with your gunsmith as he may already have the ream. Just like on the Ruger S frames, all the cylinders are the same ie .38, .357, 9mm. It's just how the cylinder bores were machined at the factory. The .38 cylinder has a little step in cylinder that prevents a .357 length case from seating. I've had a .38 Speed Six reamed to .357. It's an easier job that fitting a new cylinder and alot cheaper.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have one, and I plan to leave it in 38 Special.
My understanding is that some have shown up over the years marked 38 Special, but were chambered for 357 Magnum. I checked mine, and it is a 38 Special chambered GP100.
I have no idea how many 3 Inch Adjustable Sight 38 Specials have been produced, but it is still not going to be a large number. My guess would be 150 or so. That is still pretty rare.

Bob

Andyd

Bearcat
I have a GP100 with a four inch barrel in .38 Special with fixed sights that was a security special overrun.

Handsome lines without the adustable rear sight, imho.

image_zpsc5a57bc9.jpg

RCP1936

Bearcat
Andyd said:
I have a GP100 with a four inch barrel in .38 Special with fixed sights that was a security special overrun.

Handsome lines without the adustable rear sight, imho.

image_zpsc5a57bc9.jpg
Totally agree
That is why I bought the same gun in stainless instead of a 4" 357

Andyd

Bearcat
RCP1936,

I have this GP since about ten years and have put it to hard use. It does not show that thousands of rounds were shot through it and got a st of Nills recently that look nice on it but are speedloader unfriendly.

Where did you find yours and how rare are they really?

Thel

Blackhawk
Years ago Ruger made some .357 Mag GP's with adjustable sights Model 1709 if I recall correctly, supposedly for some Eastern police agency. Some have turned up very occasionally. The .38 Model is the 1751 and some are listed on Gun Broker new and Davidson's has 23 in stock currently.