Colt SAA grips on a New Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flying_Finn

Bearcat
I apologize if this has been a discussed topic - I wasn't able to find an answer by searching.

I'm investigating grip options for my New Vaquero and have heard that Colt SAA grips fit. Has anyone got experience trying this or is it just hearsay? Would it be grips from a first generation Colt SAA, or a gen 3, etc? I imagine a bit of fitting would be required regardless.

Thanks!

Flying_Finn

Bearcat
Thanks hittman. I have read every post in that thread twice over now (and the article it links). Great information there, I learned a lot.

But I still can't get a clear idea on whether Colt 1873 SAA (first generation) grips can be made to fit my New Vaquero or not.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes! Colt grips can be fitted to the New Vaquero and NM Flat Top XR3 size grip frames with the following understandings:

1. The grip dowel hole in the Colt grips will need to be relocated to align with the Ruger grip frame dowel.
2. Just like Colt grips on Colt guns, if the Colt grips have been fitted to a Colt already, especially a 1st gen Colt, they will likely be a little bit small in some areas of the Ruger grip frame. If they have not been fitted, they will have enough excess size to easily fit to the Ruger XR3 size grip frames. Ruger stainless XR3 grip frames are very slightly larger than blue steel and will need unfitted Colt grips for sure.

Hope this helps,

Flying_Finn

Bearcat
Thank you so much Jim! :)

I might go ahead and give it a try, I'll post pics when I do. Cheers.

Latest posts