GP100 in 10 MM; what is your experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
For those who converted GP100 to 10 MM; what is your experience? How about accuracy? Is the blast less than 357?

Thanks!

Don Lovel

Hunter
I do not know of anyone who has one.
I played with 10mm for several years and love the cartridge. I would like to have a 10mm upper kit for my SR 1911. GP done for moon clips so you can shoot 40 s&w as well as 10mm would be needed for me to be interested. A S&W 327 357 8 shot set up for moon clips so it can shoot .38 super cartridges as well was always interesting to me. But then I have not ever owned a gun with moon clips, they might be a bigger pain in the butt than they are worth

nmsu

Bearcat
I have a 3" done by Clements. I would say with full power 170-180 gr. 10mm loads its like shooting my S&W Mdl 29 4" with full power loads. Accuracy has been excellent. Its not something that is "fun" to shoot with full power loads and I usually shoot mid-power 10mm out of it for plinking. I can't honestly say it would offer a huge advantage over some of the heavy weight full power 357 loads, but I just like 10mm.

24edb2a2-7f40-41d8-a92c-d94202786a91_zpsa00bed21.jpg

Bob R

Single-Sixer
A very nice looking GP100 conversion.
I have owned a Smith & Wesson 610 No Dash for over 20 years. I really like the 10mm in a revolver. To be honest I shoot about 98% 40 S&W through it.

Advantage to a revolver that will shoot 40 S&W? All the Cheap to Free brass that you could ever want to reload. Very popular cartridge that you can buy almost anywhere. Makes bigger holes than a 38/357.

Power Wise the FULL House 10mm has just a little more sudds than a Full House 357 Magnum. The 10mm does not have nearly as Sharp a Crack as a 357 Magnum.

If I did not already have my 610 Smith & Wesson, My 3 Inch Adjustable Sight GP100 would probably be making a trip to see Clements also. Whats not to love.
It would be nice if it cost a few hundred less to have the conversion done.

Bob R

TRanger

Blackhawk
I'm sure Ruger will never do it; but a factory GP in 10mm would definitely be an appealing item.

Onty

Single-Sixer
TRanger said:
I'm sure Ruger will never do it; but a factory GP in 10mm would definitely be an appealing item.

Well, if Ruger uses same steel for cylinder as on 454 and 480 SRH, how about longer 10 MM Magnum? Do not have GP100 to measure would it take 41 magnum, but considering that wall thickness between chambers on 480 SRH is about .040 only, and it can take in a such large bore 48 000 PSI, I would not be surprised if GP in 41 Magnum, with its 35 000 PSI, could be made as a six shooter without any modification regarding cylinder dia and frame opening.

And that would be something; portable, powerful, yet affordable.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Yes, a .41 Magnum GP would be a dandy as well. Had the .41 been built on a smaller frame to begin with, it would have been more.popular.

Thel

Blackhawk
dtrice said:
Would a 41 have to be a 5 shot in a gp100?

Gary Reeder on his Skorpion conversion to the GP uses his custom 5 shot cylinder for the .41 mag (and .44 SP). Seem to recall Clements makes 6 shot .41 SP conversions (of course they are lot lower pressure). Perhaps, with an oversize cylinder the .41 mag could be 6 shot.

Thel

Blackhawk
Onty said:
Well, if Ruger uses same steel for cylinder as on 454 and 480 SRH, how about longer 10 MM Magnum?

From what I can gather there is some debate about whether 10mm mag can outdo the 10mm regular. Taffin got some impressive results but over at the S&W Forum some who have bored out 610's for the mag have had less than impressive results.

The point about the cylinder diameter and steel is good. In fact in another thread on a .44 mag GP I've mentioned that the cylinder diameter is only about 0.015" less than a S&W 69.

Onty

Single-Sixer
dtrice said:
Would a 41 have to be a 5 shot in a gp100?

I tried to scale the picture of GP100 cylinder http://i44.tinypic.com/aolt9k.jpg , and if I had done it right, six bore cylinder bored to 41 magnum should have somewhere between .040-.050" wall thickens. Using new super alloy 465 http://www.cartech.com/techarticles.aspx?id=1608 (the same one used on 454 and 480 SRH) cylinder bored to 41 Magnum should be very strong for its size.

Thel

Blackhawk
I would think so. Also, the cylinder window could be opened and the cylinder diameter increased slightly. If they ever come out with the .44 mag I imagine they might increase diameter slightly. Then again the S&W 69 .44 mag is only 0.01" larger in diameter than a GP so cylinder wall thickness to outside of the cylinder is sufficient as is. Perhaps the concern is with the thickness between adjacent chambers.

Sugar River

Buckeye
41 Special by Dave Clements on the right. He approves loads in the range of 220gr @ 1200.
The mag case would run into O.A.L. problems in the GP cylinder.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
Bob R said:
A very nice looking GP100 conversion.
I have owned a Smith & Wesson 610 No Dash for over 20 years. I really like the 10mm in a revolver. To be honest I shoot about 98% 40 S&W through it.

Advantage to a revolver that will shoot 40 S&W? All the Cheap to Free brass that you could ever want to reload. Very popular cartridge that you can buy almost anywhere. Makes bigger holes than a 38/357.

Power Wise the FULL House 10mm has just a little more sudds than a Full House 357 Magnum. The 10mm does not have nearly as Sharp a Crack as a 357 Magnum.

If I did not already have my 610 Smith & Wesson, My 3 Inch Adjustable Sight GP100 would probably be making a trip to see Clements also. Whats not to love.
It would be nice if it cost a few hundred less to have the conversion done.

Bob R
My experience also with a 610. 40 short and weak out of a N-frame is so mellow and cheap. The opinion of guys smarter than I is that the 10 out of a revolver is more accurate (precise) than cartridges that came before because of uniformity of bore, chamber mouths and bullet diameters. I do think I shoot it better than some of my other guns. YMMV

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Someone mentioned about having a 10mm in a SR1911, well I wanted one also:

EliteLSHunter3_zpsec326810.jpg

The SR1911 didn't come in the configuration I wanted so I went with another company. This is a Para Elite LS Hunter in 10mm. It has the 6" barrel. Just got it yesterday and will shoot it today!!! I will be taking it into the woods and hunt with it.

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Not to hijack this thread but let me know how that Para Hunter shoots. I saw the advertisement from Davidsons the other day and am thinking about picking one up myself....after I get the new Glock G40 of course.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
firecaptain said:
Not to hijack this thread but let me know how that Para Hunter shoots. I saw the advertisement from Davidsons the other day and am thinking about picking one up myself....after I get the new Glock G40 of course.

I was so surprised in a pleasant way!!! Recoil was very low, at least lower then I thought this round was famous for. The gun is heavy, but it shot so smooth I was totally impressed. I was shooting Remington FMJ practice rounds.

This was a five shot group from 10 yds, free hand:

ShotTarget1_zpsb095833d.jpg

I imagine it will improve with reloads for hunting!!! 8)