Misboxed Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
Is there any collector value in a misboxed Ruger.
The box and all the paper work are marked 45 colt and are the same serial # as the revolver.
However the revolver is a 45 acp and the fired case is 45 acp but the envelope is marked 45 colt.
Thanks martyj

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
"Was it a convertible originally with both 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders and the 45 Colt cylinder is missing?"

+1 ..... That was my first thought also.

Terry T

Buckeye
I believe the only .45 ACP (only) revolvers have been the Talo Birds Heads New Vaqueros offered over the last couple of years.
They were offered in both .45 LC OR .45 ACP but not as a convertible. Could have been rather easy to get a mis-print box label.
We'd like to see a photo of the box label and the gun.

I have a 'clean up' late production Old Army who's box is labeled "45 Colt"! :shock:

More interesting have been actual guns mis marked with a different model name stamped on the gun. I have 3 Speed Sixs mis marked as Police Service Sixs.
The point is that mis mark mistakes DO occur. :shock:

More to your point - a collector might give a bit of a premium for such a mis-print but not very much at this point.

Really would like to see some photos. :D
Terry T

martyj

Blackhawk
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464930324
Hope I dont regret this
makes me wonder if it left the factory listed as Colt or acp

Terry T

Buckeye
I think you did OK on this. You may have paid a $50 or so premium for a unique piece. Might take a while to 'recover' that premium should you need to sell. Limited group of folks (collectors) who would pay the premium but, all in all, I'd say you're OK on this.

Thanks for sharing! Very cool to we collectors. :D
Terry T

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I suspect that rather than a Ruger labeling mistake, history shows us that Ruger used whatever labels were available to get the gun shipped out the door. This could be confirmed by calling Talo and asking how other boxes for this model are labeled. Or a polling thread about other box marking on this forum of other owners of this model.

Terry T

Buckeye
I would disagree with Hondo44 on this one.
The labels are computer generated with the bar code corresponding to the ser. no. and the ser. no.

I'm going to guess that someone just picked the wrong model on the drop down box on the computer screen and then entered the correct ser. no. of the actual gun. The combination of model error but correct ser. no. resulted in a label being printed with the mis-mash of data.
Just my $0.02 worth. (I made my living telling programmers how to program computers with legible and (somewhat) fool proof screens for data entry.) :shock:
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Hondo44,
I've been retired for 5 years - a lifetime in computer development so..... I'm also in danger of getting 'stuck in the old ways". :oops:

Just had too many cases where I was absolutely sure I had programmed for every possible mistake a data entry operator could make, only to be proven wrong (again and again!). :shock:
Sometimes it seemed like the lowest level employee was the most creative in finding ways to break my really cool system. :lol:
Terry T

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Terry T said:
Hondo44,
Sometimes it seemed like the lowest level employee was the most creative in finding ways to break my really cool system. :lol:
Terry T
Man...that's the plain truth for sure. I used to develop software for autonomous cruise missiles and we had to analyze everything that could possibly go wrong during a mission, define all the critical failure paths and the corrective action for each, yada, yada, yada. That's a piece of cake compared to the stuff I do now where a human interface is involved!

John

martyj

Blackhawk
Well the pistol does have the 45acp cylinder in it.
The dealer ordered 3 45 colts and this is the only one he received that was incorrect.
I was wondering if it would do any good to see how it lettered or if it would even be worth the effort to call them?

Terry T

Buckeye
I'd say for the $10, a letter could prove interesting. Makes for a more complete package down the road when you might want to move it along to another collector.
Terry T

contender

Ruger Guru
I have seen a few guns shipped with incorrect data printed on the label from Ruger. I handled a set of 3 John Wayne 32's a while back that one was incorrect. As Terry says, it happens occasionally. Keep it all together & get a letter.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I can't remember the post,,,but I remember Chad posting that miss-marked labels seemed to be on the rise for a while there.

TT is spot on with the Letter,,,that is the bottom line on what the gun shipped as.
Terry

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
MartyJ,

Did some digging on model number vs catalog, and think you have a goof up if the model number (not shown in the photo is as follows), so think TerryT hit the nail on the head.

Think these were 3-3/4" birds heads with black laminate grips, blued guns. The 45 Colt was a NVBH-453 and the number was 5153. The 45 ACP version of this, all things the same except caliber was a NVBH-453A, and the number 5154.

You may have to provide Ruger with photos of the gun and the label, as their records will show it being what the box says and that is what you will get a letter on.

Good luck with the letter!