Revolver Brake Concept

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Another concept were playing with in the shop. Full lugged gp barrel threaded for a brake.
The brake is not timed. This is just some concept work.
We would prob taper the lug to match the brake dia. Then slab side and install a Novak front sight.

would use a smaller dia brake....just working with whats laying around

longspurr

Single-Sixer
I tried a brake on a Smith 25 -45acp years ago. A brake works on a 1911 45 so I thought I would try it on the revolver. I used the gun for bowling pin shoots for awhile, but discovered I did not have enough Jerry Miculek in me to make a difference.

My thought is I chose the wrong caliber to compensate. If the revolver was a 357 or other magnum caliber then the gas pressure would have been enough to be effective. If I had a do-over, I would have put a brake on a 4" barreled 41 mag.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Yep, brakes and compensators are much more effective at higher pressures/velocities...not a whole lot of reason to use one on something like a .45ACP, IMHO.

John

MaxP

Buckeye
I've only owned one revolver that I felt really needed a brake and that is my 4-lb D-Max in .50 Alaskan, where the recoil is truly debilitating. Other than that I just don't care for them. Any benefit is trumped by the increase in noise IMHO.