22wrf in revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

REP1954

Blackhawk
adam12 said:
I can scarcely believe I've lived 60 years and never encountered WRF cartridges. What's it mean - Winchester RimFire? From REP1954's picture the rounds look to be the same size as the .22 magnum (WMR). Could someone explain to me the genesis of these? I'm completely stymied and tickled, too. It's 3:48 am so that might explain my semi-blown mind that this post and thread have caused. From this day forward I simply have to search for a box of them.

This link will save me from a lot of typing.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Rimfire

I'll say it again, a .22 WRM anywhere in the body cavity is seriously deadly. Used to be an administrator in a community college that ran both the regional EMT training and police academy, so I've talked to lots of people with up-close experience of gunshot wounds. EMTs, trauma docs, and other first responders DO NOT like the WRM because of its tendency to fragment even on soft tissue at usual handgun self-defense shooting ranges. The little bits of jacket and core slice and dice and also get into vessels and end up in places where sharp foreign bodies do delayed-action mayhem.

A .22 Magnum is no "stopper," in the sense that it won't blow an assailant out of his/her socks. But it does usually allow for quick repeat shots--the trauma adds up--and it is comfortable for many non-shooters to handle and get comfortable with. And often that is the whole ball game.

When I bought my S&W 651 from a Florida dealer, he told me that he called it a "Senior Citizen's Friend." Now that I are one, arthritic hands and all, I think that IS an apt description.

A little more ".22 WRF history:" the latest reference to anybody making guns specifically chambered for this round is the 1955 Winchester catalog which mentions that Model 61 pumps are available in .22 WRF. I suspect that those were "leftovers" using up old replacement parts, but can't prove it (pretty common practice, tho). The 61M in .22 WRM didn't come along until late 1959 or very early 1960. Mine was made in mid-1960.

Plumbous1

Bearcat
Back when Sportsman's Warehouse was still in Wisconsin, I bought a box of CCI 22 wrf to try in a Marlin M 25 22 magnum. The Marlin was reluctantly sold to me by a friend who warned me he could not get any respectable accuracy out of it with any 22 mag ammo he tried. The CCI 22 wrf ammo was outstanding. Group shrank by so much I was stunned. Literally from 1 1/2" AT 25 YARDS, to about 3/8". I shot a few in a stainless Ruger single six convertible and did not get a similar improvement.
I called CCI and talked to a woman, who was one of the most knowledgeable techs I have ever had he pleasure to talk too, who explained several things to me. First of all she knew all about Marlin micro groove and told me she was not surprised at the rifle's improvement because the bullet they load into the 22 wrf is a Speer Gold Dot jacketed hollow point that measures .2265" and it fills the micro groove. That Marlin is now deadly, so good I sprang for an after market trigger. It is my go to, something needs killin' in the yard/garden gun. Target out to 60 yards is the eye ball.
Now as to the revolver warning. While the tech had me on the phone, she chastised me for shooting them in the Single Six, asking me, "Didn't you see the warning on the box?" Well actually, no I had not. She went on to explain that CCI had to replace some bulged barrels on some revolvers after the jacketed .2265" Gold Dot stuck in the bore and the shooter fired another round. The worst example she told me of consisted of a Colt shooter who finally stopped when the 7th round bridged the barrel cylinder gap and tied up the revolver. Apparently the over size for convertible revolver barrels bullet sticks and the gas vents out of the barrel cylinder gap. The warning helps CCI avoid paying for repairs.
I went back to Sportsman's and bought a brick of 500 for like $67.00. I ration them like gold.
Sorry for the long winded post but that's the story.

One of the regular writers for "Rifle" magazine (can't remember which one) had similar experience with .22 WRF in his Marlin bolt action .22 Magnum--dramatic increase in accuracy. He used the Marlin /.22 WRF combination on Western rock squirrels, a difficult target at best.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Plumbous1,

Very interesting! Rugers don't have any problem with the Winchester WRF in the tan old timey boxes and surprisingly accurate, considering the copper plated bullet bullets are .220".
Thx!

hammie

Single-Sixer
I think the CCI tech was wrong. The warning means only what it says: don't use in revolvers CHAMBERED for .22 Winchester rimfire. If the revolver is chambered for .22 Winchester rimfire magnum, then it is okay.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The warning I was referring to came from a Marlin Firearms tech. The allegation was that the larger bullets of the CCI WRF (Winchester rim fire) work fine in Marlin's rifles but not in Ruger WRM (Winch Rim-fire Magnum) revolvers.

When I read that, I knew I was going to have to find some CCI WRF and mic the bullets myself to verify.

BearBio

Buckeye
I kept a Ruger Single Six loaded with either 22 WMR or WMF (Whatever I had available) in my first apartment in North Hollywood for a while.