Where are the 22 LR revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retired Guy

Bearcat
I have been looking for a 22 DA revolver, and to quote Mother Hubbard, the cupboard is bare. At least from Ruger and S&W. Has the ammo shortage caused the manufacturers to cut back production or is it just a cyclical shortage?

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I'm in the same boat. I've been on the lookout for a 4" S&W 617 for a while. My LGS got a shipment of 10 4" SP101's in .22lr last fall. I grabbed one but they haven't had any since. I hope this is a cyclical thing.

They are all hiding out with the ammo!

I was just in a gun store the other day and marveled at all the .22's they had in the cases. I wondered how they were selling them since they literally didn't have a single round of .22 LR in the store.

.22LR revolvers are typically scarce in these parts, unless you're looking for a Single-Six or Taurus 94.

I can't remember the last time I saw a S&W 617... Other than in my safe! :p

Edit: looks like I need to move to OK!

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Have yet to shoot it but I just bit the bullet and bought a very nice condition S&W Model 18 in 22 LR manufactured in 1962. The tariff was high but there's really nothing out there anymore in the way of a quality DA 22 LR that's built right and suited my taste. The nice thing is I now have a classic older Smith that I can pass down. They really don't make them like that anymore.

The Preacher

Srb08

Single-Sixer
The Preacher said:
Have yet to shoot it but I just bit the bullet and bought a very nice condition S&W Model 18 in 22 LR manufactured in 1962. The tariff was high but there's really nothing out there anymore in the way of a quality DA 22 LR that's built right and suited my taste. The nice thing is I now have a classic older Smith that I can pass down. They really don't make them like that anymore.

The Preacher

Nice gun!

Srb08

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
There are 22 revolvers out there, some are even like this......

this 617 has a 10 shot aluminum cylinder........... 8) :wink:
Have you had any issues with the aluminum cylinder?
I have a neighbor who bought one of the AL cylinder guns, kept it for a short time and dumped it. I can't remember what the problem was but he said it was common to those guns.

CoolLogic

Bearcat
Here in central VA, I picked up a new SP101 22 a few days before Christmas at a LGS. I don't know how many he had but the one I got was not the one on display. The date on the fired shell was April 2013 so I'm pretty sure he had it for a while. He also had LCRs in 22lr and 22 mag.

slowhand

Single-Sixer
A few years back i had one of the ten shot aluminum cylinder 617's.Shot the heck out of it.Only problem was in the cleaning.Cylinder always looked dirty after you were done cleaning it. Didn't matter what I used on it. Only problem I ever had.Wish I hadn't sold it off to help pay some doctor bills :oops: :cry:

k22fan

Blackhawk
For forty years the story has been that after the distributors shelves are emptied the factories wait for back orders to build up before making another production run of models that are not fast sellers. Also those production runs aren't allowed to get in the way of filling large police department orders. That could be repeating again or the stores aren't ordering new .22 DAs for two possible reasons: they have too much invested in inventory bought back when guns were flying off the shelves or they figure they can't sell guns they can't supply ammo for.

Don't over pay gougers. Just be patient. The .22 GP 100 could hit the shelves any day.

adam12

Single-Sixer
I liver about 5 or 6 miles from Smith & Wesson (Springfield MA) and you'd be hard pressed to find a S&W .22 revolver in any LGS within 20 miles!

Retired Guy

Bearcat
Well after looking, I ended up with a GP100 Match Champion. Not a 22, but I can find ammunition for it.

Latest posts