Speed loader for single action Colt 45........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Found a new use for some old M1 Carbine magazines I've had for years.
The .45 Colt rounds slip right in these magazines and make for a neat way to carry 6
rounds in a pocket and maybe a faster way to load them into your gun!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The long plastic tube works pretty well as a speed loader. Just hold it in the loading gate and rotate the cylinder. The cartridges fall right in.

JmE

Single-Sixer
Good to know, Mus408. I carry a .45 ACP Vaquero + 1911 magazine everyday and my son wants to carry his .45 Colt Vaquero instead of his plastic 9mm when we spend time together. He's been looking for a magazine as a speedloader to carry or keep in his backpack. I'll pass the information along to him.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The full moon clip for DA revolvers is actually a faster 'speedloader' for the Ruger SA. One can pop out the cylinder, drop out all 6 clipped empty cases, drop in 6 loaded rounds pre assembled in a full moon clip, and pop the cyl back in the gun. Some use the very fastest method of an extra cyl preloaded with a moon clip/live rounds.

The clip or the Ruger cyl requires slight modification. However, even if so modified, the cyl can also be used w/o the clip.

I don't know. I'd be too scared to scratch the revolver with the magazine. I can't see a practical application.... you've already spent so much time unloading...

JmE

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
I don't know. I'd be too scared to scratch the revolver with the magazine. I can't see a practical application.... you've already spent so much time unloading...

It's practical for the .45 ACP revolvers so I can't see why it wouldn't be for the .45 Colt revolvers. Then again, if my son tries it with his .45 Colt, I'll know for sure as my experience has only been with my EDC in ACP. I would be concerned about scratching a blued gun (like the OPs) too. Thankfully, we both have stainless steel revolvers.

An average person won't be seeing any truly fast reloading times but it does seem to be quicker to load from a magazine than individual rounds from a pocket or pouch. A speed strip might be faster but a 1911 magazine carries nicely in a carrier on a belt. The carbine magazine might carry well in a backpack?

Mus408

Hunter
You know I had both of them out today and forgot the magazines! Just too much going on to get stuff together. Next time.

zacharoo

Bearcat
You can also use stripper clips for a moisan nagant rifle. It is only 5 rounds but they carry easily.
Zacharoo

JmE

Single-Sixer
7.62x39 stripper clips work for .357 Magnum and .38 Special. That's how I have all of my rounds of that caliber stored. It's more convenient than having them loose or in boxes, IMHO. Good tip on the Mosin Nagant stripper clips. I'll pass that one along to my son as well.