Colt barrel on a Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I've heard of adapting Colt SAA barrels to Ruger Blackhawks. Think I have a line on a New Frontier 7 1/2" .357 Magnum barrel. I am thinking of having this put on a Ruger Three Screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum.

What is entailed in doing this? Difficult but doable? Easy swap? New ejector housing?

Bob Wright

flatgate

Hawkeye
Bob, I've zero experience with the SSA. Thread pitch and diameter need to match or a "too" long barrel that'll be happy with some machine shop TLC.
JMHO,

flatgate

wwb

Hunter
Your money, your choice.

I've always felt that Colt/Smith, Colt/Ruger, Smith/Ruger, or whatever, barrel swaps didn't really accomplish anything. It's something folks did just because they could..... and it's not cheap if you have a gunsmith do it.

As a side note, it may be a mortal sin to do it to a 3-screw... got any New Models?

REP1954

Blackhawk
You need to have a 3rd generation barrel to do this. Colt 1st and 2nd generation threads do not match. The barrel will have to be clocked so the front sight is in the correct posltion at the same time leaving stock to set the barrel cylinder gap. The ejector rod housing also will need to be fit at the same time to make sure it fits to its length or leaves extra stock to trim it to fit. A very costly venture to be sure but those NF barrels are beautiful to say the least.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
wwb said:
Your money, your choice.

I've always felt that Colt/Smith, Colt/Ruger, Smith/Ruger, or whatever, barrel swaps didn't really accomplish anything. It's something folks did just because they could..... and it's not cheap if you have a gunsmith do it.

As a side note, it may be a mortal sin to do it to a 3-screw... got any New Models?

It accomplishes exactly what I want ~ a medium framed, three screw Single Action .357 Magnum revolver with a 7 1/2" barrel.

Yes, I have a New Model Blackhawk, a .357 Magnum revolver with an oversized frame for the small caliber. The BISLEY barrel does run 7 1/2", but has to be turned down to match the svelte Three Screw frame.

I understand the Ruger Blackhawk frame thread is 11/16-24 TPI. So trying to learn Colt's thread size. So, trying to learn compatibility.........

Bob Wright

Bucks Owin

Hunter
wwb said:
Your money, your choice.

I've seen a Ruger barrel or two that were pretty rough from the factory. I don't hear of accuracy issues with Colt but know of plenty of Blackhawks that needed throats reamed and barrels lapped. And I don't know ANYONE who likes the warning. Additionally, Colt bluing is superior IMO.

I can see no downside...

PS: Nice to hear Flatgate again... 8)

wwb

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
It accomplishes exactly what I want ~ a medium framed, three screw Single Action .357 Magnum revolver with a 7 1/2" barrel.............

Bob Wright

I guess that makes sense. Being rather "frugal", I'd force myself to live with the 6-1/2" barrel.

I hope it works out for you and you enjoy it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob Wright said:
I've heard of adapting Colt SAA barrels to Ruger Blackhawks. Think I have a line on a New Frontier 7 1/2" .357 Magnum barrel. I am thinking of having this put on a Ruger Three Screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum.

What is entailed in doing this? Difficult but doable? Easy swap? New ejector housing?

Bob Wright

Hi Bob,

It's as easy as swapping your barrel for another Ruger barrel and not at all expensive. Whether Ruger or Colt barrel, if the barrel shoulder needs turning down to align the sight or set the barrel/cyl gap, the housing is simply shortened by the same amount and included.

If it's a 3rd gen Colt barrel, it will have the same thread size as you noted for your Ruger. You don't want a 2nd gen NF barrel, they are only 20 TPI, the same as 1st gen Colts.

If your OM 357 Ruger has a studded barrel for the ejector housing screw, your Ruger hosuing and screw will work fine with the Colt barrel. The screw is #6-40 with a large cap. Or you can use a Colt ejector housing, but you must use the Colt screw which is also 6-40, but with the smaller cap to fit the Colt housing.

If your Ruger barrel has no stud, again you can use either the Ruger or Colt housing but you must use your Ruger 8-36 housing screw with small cap. It's just that simple.

I just did the opposite: put a Ruger 45 Vaquero 3 3/4" barrel and steel housing in a 3rd gen Colt.

I have what was originally shipped as a .30 Carbine but was subsequently modified by installing a .44 barrel from some other make of gun and (I think) reaming the chambers to .44 Magnum. I can tell it's not a Ruger barrel because it has more taper and is so much smaller at the muzzle that the front sight is too low. Don't know why that wasn't fixed initially. Gun shoots well but ya gotta allow for the low front sight. Just something to keep in mind.

:)

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
I have what was originally shipped as a .30 Carbine but was subsequently modified by installing a .44 barrel from some other make of gun and (I think) reaming the chambers to .44 Magnum. I can tell it's not a Ruger barrel because it has more taper and is so much smaller at the muzzle that the front sight is too low. Don't know why that wasn't fixed initially. Gun shoots well but ya gotta allow for the low front sight. Just something to keep in mind.

You're from Kentucky-use Kentucky windage. :D

Muley Gil said:
Ale-8(1) said:

You're from Kentucky-use Kentucky windage. :D

Actually Kentucky elevation, but yeah!

:wink: :mrgreen: :wink: