Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk rear sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wellthought

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Redhawk (4") where the rear sights are moved almost all the way to the right to make it shoot straight at 7 yards. I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk (7.5") that the rear sights are just slightly to the right to shoot straight at 7 yards. Is this normal? Shouldn't the sights be in the middle?

DPris

Buckeye
Rarely precisely in the middle.
That's why they're adjustable, so you can put 'em where they're needed to compensate for variations in barrel/frame alignment & ammunition. :)
Denis

mohavesam

Hawkeye
RTFM. The factory manual explains how to easily adjust the sights correctly and efficiently.

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-Redhawk.html

Fire a cylinder-full carefully (at the exact same aiming point) for consistency.
Note the location of the group center.
Turn the vertical screw counter-clockwise to raise the group.
To move the group to the right turn the horizontal screw counter-clockwise.
- etc.
(Keep the exact same aiming point throughout) 8)

wellthought said:
I have a Ruger Redhawk (4") where the rear sights are moved almost all the way to the right to make it shoot straight at 7 yards. I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk (7.5") that the rear sights are just slightly to the right to shoot straight at 7 yards. Is this normal? Shouldn't the sights be in the middle?

That's why I like adjustable sights, but you should never have to max them out.

I think the barrel on your 4" is canted, i.e. the front sight isn't precisely at 12 o'clock, and I would call Ruger on that. It's an easy fix (just a slight twist of the barrel).

The Super Redhawk is probably just fine to almost perfect. My rear sights on all 3 of my SRH's are adjusted a bit to the left or right, depending on the load used.