Seeking Info on Bisley Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I'm hoping one of you can help me learn more about my Single-Six. I'm really trying to learn "How Many" were made of this variety, and was it a "dealer Exclusive" (if so, who). It is a Stainless, 4 5/8" Bisley model. Catalog no. KRB-24-FW (what does FW denote?) and Model 00659. It was born in 1999 as per serial no. 268-206XX. Any info is much appreciated.
-Just B.S.-

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger doesn't publish the production numbers, and with the newer stuff, we often do not get good enough info to try a guess.

Refering to RENE guide....

K...Stainless
R...Ruger
B...Bisley
2...22cal
4...4 5/8 barrel
F...Fixed sights
W...With rollmark cylinder
Also
the 268 prefix should be the Vaqureo pinched sights
Davidsons exclusive
945 guns shipped 2002 through 2004
Sound like yours?

RENE guide. ALL you ever need for detailed information.

Added:
I just looked through my notes. I have one of these. :D
And here I was going to try to talk you out of yours!
Good gun.
Good find, and good night.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
Glassman,
Perfect. This is one of the reasons I love this forum. So many of you guys are so helpful. Someone always comes forward with "the scoop" on whatever the case may be. Nice complete breakdown on the catalog number and info on Davidson's in one shot. Happy Trails.
-Just B.S.-

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Justice B. Swift said:
Glassman,
Perfect. This is one of the reasons I love this forum. So many of you guys are so helpful. Someone always comes forward with "the scoop" on whatever the case may be. Nice complete breakdown on the catalog number and info on Davidson's in one shot. Happy Trails.
-Just B.S.-

Just B.S.,

Your gun with the 268 prefix "Vaquerito" Bisley has true Fixed sights. Regular production single six Bisleys were made with adjustable rear sight and windage-adj-only rear sight dovetailed into the top strap.

So you have a pretty unique and low volume model!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
George said:
Do they still make the Single Six or single six convertible model with the Bisley grip? George

No, not for quite some time, about 15 years. People make their own, pretty simple to do. And now we can also make nine shot magnums, 10 shot LRs, and 7 shot .327 Fed Mag Bisleys.

George

Blackhawk
Jim, I had picked up a Lipsey's Exclusive Bisley 0818 3.75" 44 Mag last month that I like very much. I would like to put together a match in a .22. Ok I remember reading that the grips could be changed over. How about the Bisley hammer and trigger? Or would I have to have it done by a gunsmith? Also does Ruger still make a short barreled Single six? Say in a 4.7/8" or shorter? Thank you for your help! George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi George,

If you change to a Bisley grip frame, the Bisley hammer and trigger are a drop in.

Yes, they made short barrel single sixes, single nines and single tens with 4 5/8" barrels. However, if you want a .22 with matching 3 3/4" barrel, you should look for the Exclusive single six model that came with that barrel length and the Birdshead grip frame, then change it to the Bisley grip frame. Lots of guys want the Birdshead grips so you should be able to find someone to swap with for a Bisley grip pretty easily.

Hondo44 said:
Hi George,

If you change to a Bisley grip frame, the Bisley hammer and trigger are a drop in.

Yes, they made short barrel single sixes, single nines and single tens with 4 5/8" barrels. However, if you want a .22 with matching 3 3/4" barrel, you should look for the Exclusive single six model that came with that barrel length and the Birdshead grip frame, then change it to the Bisley grip frame. Lots of guys want the Birdshead grips so you should be able to find someone to swap with for a Bisley grip pretty easily.
When and who sold the 3 3/4" barrel model? I can find no mention of it anywhere.

George

Blackhawk
Jim, Thank you!! This will be great! Just need to save some $$$ not as this will be my next gun! .. No I have to deal with a Hot water tank that went bad. Can you belive it.. 2 days before x mass!! What a mess what a PITA.. George

dakota1911

Buckeye
Need pictures. Have one and recently found out the 22 mag cyl. out of my 1977 Single Six convertible is a perfect fit. Have not shot it yet but soon.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
George,

It suddenly occurred to me that if you're matching a stainless Super Blackhawk Bisley with 3 3/4" barrel, you'll need a stainless .22 'Super' Single Six (for the adj sight). I don't know of any of those that were made with 3 3/4" barrels.

However, that's a good thing; they are so numerous and you can start with any barrel length that you can find for the lowest price. With it's screw on front sight, the barrel is the easiest to shorten! Just cut it off and drill and tap a new hole for the sight and one for the ejector rod. If it has the warning billboard on the side, since it's stainless, that can be polished off w/o having to refinish it. Then swap the stainless grip frame for a Bisley.

George said:
Frank,
Gunsbam69, Goes by Brian. Heck of a nice guy. Great price ..I had the gun in 2 days Here is the link .. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=215595&p=2156198#p2156198

George
George; that link sends me right back to this post.

George

Blackhawk
Jim, Thank you! I'll keep my eye open for one. I hope I don't see one to soon as I have to save some $$$ for it. l'll look for a super single six in .22. I would even be happy with a 4 5/8" barrel if it came down to it as long as I had the Bisley grip frame trigger and hammer on it or I could fine then and install them. I could cut the barrel if I really felt I needed for a 3.75" feel.. Again that you! you have been most helpful! Now I have hope! George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No Bisley Single Six Hunters made to my knowledge. Here's a stainless Bisley GF from Brownells, $97:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frames/grip-frame-prod44165.aspx

Recognize that they come in the rough and need fitting and polishing. Blue carbon steel parts come 'in-the-white' (not as shown by midway) and need the same work plus bluing.

Pretty simple swap; hammer spring, strut and spring seat will interchange from the hunter GF. Standard hammer and trigger will work too. But Bisley 22 hammers are hard to find!