Ruger Single Seven .327 Fed mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arkievol

Bearcat
I'm going to buy a Ruger Single Seven and would like to hear from owners about their preference for the 4 5/8" or the 5.5". Which did you choose and why? Do you wish you had bought the other?

Comments?

1984Landcruiser

Bearcat
I purchased one last month and have been very pleased with it. I went for the 5.5" model after reading Jeff Quinn's review and comparison of all 3 barrel lengths over at Gunblast.com http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Single7.htm

No regrets for me as I really like the gun. The 5.5" barrel length had the best test results, so I chose that one. Loading and unloading take some getting used to before you find the sweet spot where everything aligns just right (tolerances are tight). Finally, I found that the stock cylinder base pin tended to work itself loose when shooting the 100 grain 327 Magnum rounds. So I went with a replacement base pin from Belt Mountain and couldn't be happier - http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

Good luck with your decision, but don't wait too long. I'm still seeing a few of them for sale here in Denver, but not nearly as many as I saw last month.

David

arkievol

Bearcat
Thanks David,

I was leaning toward the 5.5 but the Quinn report seems to confirm my thoughts. I was surprised to see that the 7" seemed to show a case of diminishing returns. Longer does not always translate to more power.

Interesting.

I have a Ruger SP 101 in 327 and thoroughly enjoy it. I reload and have found a load of 12.7 Lil' Gun under a Hornady 100g XTP to be a nice flash, bang, barn burner at about 1350fps (estimated) but the versatility of a 327 mag gun is amazing and fun to play with in 32 long and 32 H&R mag.

I'll investigate the base pin when I get the gun.

Thanks for your reply.
Jack

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I have several of the 32 H&R mags, as well as a Blackhawk 327 mag. I chose the 7-1/2" as I didn't have any with a longer barrel. Mine is sweet! Any of them will fit the bill if it fits YOU! But, no matter which one you select, remember, the shorter cylinder won't allow the use of many of the heavier & longer bullets!

sandman228

Single-Sixer
ive been telling the wife I wanted a single seven ever since I heard they were coming out .I gave my name and number to a local shop a while back and told him as soon as available to call me ,well he did a month or so ago and said he could order 1, I told him I just couldn't do it right now with Christmas around the corner and he understood . well ive since decided I need to lay off buying guns for a bit get some money put away , pay off credit cards,so on, so on. well I walked into the same shop the other day on 1 of my normal powder searches and walked over to the counter low and behold he had 1 in the display case and it was calling me . well I fought off the urge I didn't even ask to fondle it because I knew if I did it was coming home with me, but I wonder every day if its still there I really want it but im doing my best to fight off the urge lol . I hope someone else goes in and buys it soon ,maybe later on in the year i'll work some overtime and pick one up till then my gp100 327 will do .

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a short barrel model and like it. Had the same problem with base pin and likewise replaced with a Belt Mountain. Looks nice too!

arkievol

Bearcat
Sandman..."he had 1 in the display case and it was calling me . well I fought off the urge I didn't even ask to fondle it because I knew if I did it was coming home with me."
Have an addiction do we? :) I understand but don't worry, it's very common.

Wil...HOW can you possibly live without one of each BBL length available ??!!
I'll work up to it one at a time. I have 4", 5.5" and 7.5" Blackhawks/Vaquero.

Update:
A 5.5" Single Seven is in the mail.Will post report later.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I have a 4 5/8 32 mag and really like how handy it is. When I was deciding on my Single Seven it was a very hard choice between the short one and the really long one, hence my 5.5. I still sometimes regret not getting another 4 5/8 though but for no logical reason other than looks. My Seven out shoots my 32 with every load I have tried so far.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I bought the 5.5" Single Seven due to the fact that I have .32 Mag Single Sixes in 4.62" and 6.5"(never could find one in 5.5") and of course the 5.5" has a terrific balance. I was lucky enough to find a Bianchi #1 holster for it in all the stuff I had forgot I had, as well. Bob! :D

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I was convinced that the 5 1/2" was for me, until I got to my LGS and found that their stash of 5 1/2"ers had traveled to a gun show. My choice was narrowed to a single sample of the 4 5/8" or 7 1/2". I figure I will likely carry this one on my hip as a trail gun, so I excluded the 7 1/2" as an option. After buying the "shorty" I became happier as time passed that it had ended up as it did. It handles well and has plenty of sight-radius for my aging eyes. Also, it will likely handle better for my daughter, who is just getting started. I have a 6 1/2" .32 H&R for bench work if I need more "tube" for fine accuracy. I had forgotten just how fun a short six-gun is. Now I'm going to have to "re-invent" my 4 5/8" .45LC. Either way, you win. Fun caliber with no "down side". Get to it!
-Just B. S.-

PaulJ

Bearcat
When my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, I showed her the single seven with the 5 1/2 barrel and she told me to find one. Called the LGS where I have bought a few guns and they had one ordered up in a couple minutes, I thought the odds of me finding one would be little to none. We went and picked it up today and I can't wait to shoot it. I really like the 5 1/2" barrel it just seems to hang better for me. The grips on it compared to my 9-10 year old single six are just about perfect in my hand, I am already looking to replace the ones on the 22. I had to tuck it in the back of the cabinet and I can't touch it again to Christmas morning, I don't care how cold it will be Christmas morning me and my boys will be outback touching her off!!!

I have a wonderful wife too!!!

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
5.5" was my choice. I like its aesthetic, it's easy to carry and shoot well.

I did come across a 7.5" (not mine) and over the chronograph his averaged 100 fps faster with the American Eagle 100 gr ammo. My 5.5" averaged 1483 fps, his 7.5" averaged 1586 fps.

In my experience revolvers are each a story unto themselves. I have a 4-5/8" 22lr Single Six that clocks higher velocities (with some ammo) than its longer barrel versions (5.5 & 6.5"). I don't know why.

Jared

Bearcat
I have all 3 lengths. The 4 5/8" and 7.5" are single Sevens and the 5.5 is a custom. I like the 4 5/8 and if I could only have one it would be that length. That said the 7.5" is quite accurate and easy to hit with. Unlike Jeff's example my 7.5" is quite a bit faster than the other two.

DonD

Single-Sixer
Those guns have kept my interest for a while, fortunately at a simmer rather than a burn. Just couldn't seem to see it when I already had two Ruger .357s, a SP101 and a GP100.

One thing I simply can't understand is that I shoot my S&W 500 Mags more accurately than any handgun I have. My GP100 is intrinsically accurate and has a nice trigger but I am not extracting what I am capable of from it let alone what the gun is capable of.

Merry Christmas to all you fellow gun enthusiasts and 2nd Amendment supporters. :D Don

Big Old Boy

Hunter
B.P.J. I saw your add to late had just ordered brass on line ,yours is priced right. I have the 5.5 and do enjoy it a bunch.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
well I went and bought one . but not the 4 5/8 barrel I saw at the local shop I was going to ,I got some cash for Christmas plus I had 1 of my shotguns listed in a local classified a guy called me about and bought it on Christmas eve .so I went over to the shop I saw the single seven with the intentions of buying it the day after Christmas and he wasn't open he only had 1 single seven and it was the short barrel which isn't really what I wanted anyhow .I called a large gunshop about an hour from here they had 3 in stock 1 of each barrel length and was 40$ cheaper on price anyhow so I gave him a deposit over the phone on the 7.5 incher and the wife and I went up and bought it this morning .

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
Saw these on 2 dealer tables at a gunshow today. One guy had all three lengths. I thought they all felt good, but I really liked the short barrelled one, 4 5/8" I think. I somehow fought the temptation to take one home, even though I went back 4 times to look at them.

contender

Ruger Guru
Why fight it? Heck, I own several 32 H&R mag Super Single-Sixes, a Blackhawk in 327 & when they announced the Single-Seven, I immediately ordered mine.
In fact, I spent some time today tinkering with my Single-Seven.

Latest posts