What changes has Ruger made to recent Blackhawks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dear Forum friends: Can someone educate me on what changes Ruger has made in the recent manufactured Blackhawks? I'm talking about the ones that come with the black plastic grips. I have not been able to examine one yet. I hear there is a safety device in the grip frame? Did they also change the grip frame on these newer models from a XR3-RED? Or is it still an XR3-RED? Have they started using steel grip frames and ejector housings yet on the newer production Blackhawks? Any help appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, for a while, there was a grip frame with an internal lock system in place. That has been dropped. The shape of the grip frames haven't changed, & they added the original XR-3 to a few guns. But in that, they also moved the grip locator pin. Also, some models do have steel grip frames, and some do not.
Confused yet?

DPris

Buckeye
Also seem to have reduced the amount of polish the blued ones are getting.
Last two here had less "shine" than what used to be normal. :)

Denis

trapperon

Blackhawk
Current production blackhawks feature a steel ejector housing. also, the barrel warning verbage has been moved to the underside of the barrel! Makes for a much cleaner appearance! Yep--internal lock has come and gone and grips are now checkered black plastic. Hammers are all stainless with no blueing on the top surface of them.

Still great revolvers--which one are you thinking of getting?

Ron

Thanks for all the info - I'm wanting a 4 5/8" barrel 45. I've had several over the years and never held on to them - always wound up putting steel grip frames on and steel EJH. I prefer blued, but don't want to have to spend more if I buy one to make it all steel. I'm considering stainless, that way I don't have to modify.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Slim

unfortunately the stainless 45 blackhawks have been discontinued for several years. the only blued Blackhawk that has a steel grip frame is the 44 special flattop--and they are the same price as a 45 with an aluminum frame! Super blackhawks still feature a blued steel grip frame though.

Ron

k22fan

Blackhawk
I'll ask for Redington Slim's benefit. Was there a 4 5/8" blued .45 Colt Flat Top among the distributor specials? If so and he likes their small grip frames one might suit him. He's willing to compromise and accept stainless. Stainless ones were recently on the market both as .45 Colts and convertibles, but again he'd have to accept the smaller grip.

No-1

Single-Sixer
Increased production & lowered quality? I'd shop for something pre-lock.