My BFR project turned out well!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
My SBH Hunter's big cousin...I shortened the barrel on my .45-70 to 5 1/2 inches from it's original 7 1/2.
For me it makes for a smoother draw from my shoulder rig. Nice trail gun too!

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Holy carp! The only 45-70 I've shot was in a lightweight rifle with thin stock and brass butt plate. Modern, strong action and hot smokeless handloads. Belonged to a friend of mine. My shoulder was already a bit tender from firing a 7mm magnum literally all day when my friend dips into the trunk of the car and says, here, try this...

I can't even imagine that round in a revolver so my hat is off to you...

John

Mus408

Hunter
OldePhart said:
Holy carp! The only 45-70 I've shot was in a lightweight rifle with thin stock and brass butt plate. Modern, strong action and hot smokeless handloads. Belonged to a friend of mine. My shoulder was already a bit tender from firing a 7mm magnum literally all day when my friend dips into the trunk of the car and says, here, try this...

I can't even imagine that round in a revolver so my hat is off to you...

John

John...it's really not that bad. Here I was doing some draw shots after cutting the barrel down.
Those Hornady 325 gr. rounds were still going 1460 FPS out the shorter barrel and these are factory mild loads.

http://youtu.be/7Wh5teFf5lc?list=UUhieJXyTMwZd7H0NRtYoo2w

Mus408

Hunter
Joe S. said:
Was that "oh s*^%!" at the end from the recoil or a hammer bite?

Yeah... the trigger guard slightly re-arranged the skin on my knuckle!
You have to watch out for that and make sure you allow some extra knuckle room when you grip the gun.