Question on NM Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
A neighbor was given a 6.5 inch barrel New Model Blackhawk in .357 Mag.
He tells me he remembers seeing a spare 9mm cylinder with it at one time but didn't get it,yet, with the gun. This man that had owned the gun had died recently and his family gave my friend the gun.
Can you tell by the serial number if this was a .357/9mm convertible?

with out the packaging, would have to contact the factory (Ruger) give them the serial number and ask how it was shipped, spare cylinder or not...there would be an "X" in the catalog number of that particular gun.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
You can also take a look at the face of the cylinder to examine for the presence or absence of the last three digits of the serial number having been "pencil-etched" there. Convertible guns have each cylinder so marked.

No number = 357 only.

Numbers present = 357 and 9MM cylinders when it left the factory.

EDITED TO ADD: Although I have a couple of non-convertible Ruger Blackhawks that do not have any number "etched" on the cylinder, subsequent posters in this thread do. So, I would say "etched" vs "not etched" is not a way to determine whether gun is a convertible or not.

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
NewportNewsMike said:
You can also take a look at the face of the cylinder to examine for the presence or absence of the last three digits of the serial number having been "pencil-etched" there. Convertible guns have each cylinder so marked.

No number = 357 only.

Numbers present = 357 and 9MM cylinders when it left the factory.

I have a Liberty .357, and a current new model SBH in .44 Mag, and a long gone new model SBH in .44 Mag...

All three have/had the last digits of the serial number scribed on the face of the cylinder, and none are 'convertible'...