Ruger Alaskin...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Saw a dealer with 2 of these on display at a local gunshow yesterday. I believe one was a .44 Mag and the other .454. Wow.. a lot of steel in those things...run out of ammo..just throw it at it! They were priced around $ 899

paul105

Single-Sixer
I have an Alaskan in .480 Ruger. It weighs 42.8 oz (unloaded) on my digital food scale. Add 6 rounds of 400gr ammo and it goes 50.2 oz. It looks bulky and awkward but is well balanced and amazingly easy to shoot. You obviously loose some velocity with the 2 1/2" bbl, but a 400gr bullet at 1,050 fps is is a very capable load for anything you may encounter in the L48 and probably in Alaska.

Up close and personal it is quite practical for personal protection against large animals -- just my opinion of course. Most will never need it or use it for that application. Of course need almost never enters into the purchase equasion at least for me.

Was always curious with the concept and justified mine with the thought of using it as backup when bow hunting elk in grizzly country. I've had fun doing load development and plinking (yes plinking) with this big bore belly gun. The .44 or .454 might be a better choice for those that live in the L48.

FWIW,

Paul

My .480 Alaskan is a favorite of anybody who comes to my house for some shooting. At first they are a little intimidated by it and expect some massive recoil. It's a heavy gun... with lighter weight bullets at mid-range velocities, it's actually a fun gun to shoot. People always get a big smile on their face and want more ammo!

Gregg

exlogger

Single-Sixer
A few weeks ago I picked up a used 454 for $600 at my LGS. It came with the box and aftermarket sights (Bowen and Hi-Viz). I knew it was a good deal when I saw it because the local dealers told me they can't get the new 454s due to high demand in Alaska.

I like the sight combo... Real easy to place the red dot on top of the white line.

A couple pics...

Alaskan3_zpsa4a51359.jpg

AlaskanBox_zpsae42aec9.jpg

Alaskan2_zps42626bc7.jpg

Nice, exlogger, and you got the popular grips. I believe the 454 to be the most popular caliber. I prefer using Buffalo Bore 45 Colt 325 grain WFNGC's. It will handle anything in North America with out all the recoil. Probably over kill for most things.

exlogger

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
Nice, exlogger, and you got the popular grips. I believe the 454 to be the most popular caliber. I prefer using Buffalo Bore 45 Colt 325 grain WFNGC's. It will handle anything in North America with out all the recoil. Probably over kill for most things.
Thanks Bear Paw Jack
I actually had these grips in my parts box. It came with the Hogue Tamer grips and they felt pretty good, but I like these better.

I will look into the Buffalo Bore 45 Colt loads. I think I'm going to buy the 45 Colt dies since the brass for the 454 is so much more expensive.

Thanks again.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I keep telling myself I need one in 44 mag; don't know why; but I sure do like them!

exlogger

Single-Sixer

JFB

Hunter
OK, so that rear sight is not Ruger. explains why I couldn't find it in the owner's manuals.

I didn't think I would like a hi-vis front sight, but after i used one, I miss it when i shoot the Alaskan

Thanks

exlogger

Single-Sixer
Hamopr said:
I traded for a 44 Alaskan yesterday, love your sights. How does the front sight mount?
With a pin. Not sure on process to install, the sight was already on when I bought it.