Broken Security Grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KirkP

Bearcat
My Securiy Six #159-XXX got dopped and both grips cracked.
It looks like theyre what`s called the "combat " grip square butt.
Am I limited to those type grips when looking for a replacement set, it looks like some are a smaller type?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Kirk

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
CDNN Investments has a lot of aftermaket stuff.
http://www.cdnnsports.com/gun-parts.html?brand=2118&cat=33

Ruger made 1.2 million of the Six series so you won't have trouble finding replacements. I regularly see them at gun shows.

Glupy Dave.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I don't use the name "combat grips" for Ruger wood so I have to guess you cracked original Ruger "target" grips. They more or less copied S&W's target stock shape. Not too long ago ShopRuger.com had them on sale for $10. Most weeks I see the smaller wood that most Six Series revolver came with for sale in the classified ads here, on other forums or in the LGS's used odd ball grip box. About the only two grips to be cautious to not mistakenly buy are round butt Speed Sixes grips and very early "low Back" Six Series grips. Low backs are collectors items so there aren't too many of their grips around.

FWIW I like Ruger's target size or Herrett's Shooting Stars.

KirkP

Bearcat
Thank you for the responses. I got my terminology from Wikipedia. I see they call the combat and target grips the same thing, and assume they were referring to the smaller as service grips. I think you and I are on the same page K22fan.
I can take this as both sizes will fit?

k22fan

Blackhawk
Yes, the two sizes of factory grips both fit. The ad Gluppy's link goes to is for a pair of Herrett's Shooting Stars. Out of the three grips we've discussed they'd be my 1st choice. They're thin at the top so have a shorter trigger reach for better leverage DA. Ruger targets are a little wider at the top which should spread magnum recoil over a larger part of the web of your hand. I find the small "service" grip the least comfortable, especially with magnums. However grip fit is personal.

Nanchulla

Bearcat
There are a ton of them on eBay Right now. It looks like a Police Department went Pachmeyer and they're cleaning, out the vault. There's like a pile of a hundred pairs of original Security Six Grips. Check it out.