Revolver scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrh3225

Bearcat
Just bought a Ruger 44 mag. Super Redhawk and cannot find a scope.
Everywhere I go tell's me they do not carry a scope ( including Bass Pro Shop. ) for a revolver.
Can anyone help me?

Jim Puke

Hunter
Need to decide what you will be doing with the gun...that will help you decide the optic that you need.

I am sure that you will have to buy online as likely NO LGS will have handgun scopes in stock.

rcramden

Bearcat
Leupold, nikon, burris make pistol scopes. I'm sure others do as well. Try searching ebay or optics planet or some other sites.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Simmons Prohunter 2-6x is a good budget friendly model, and has done well for me on my 44mag SBH with 300grn loads for a long time.

The Bushnell Elite 2-6x is a bit cleaner around the edges than the Simmons, and a bit brighter with a bit better resolution, and twice as expensive.

The Leupold VX3 2-6x is the best of the best, but costs about 4x the Simmons, twice the Bushnell. I only have one of the FX2 Leup 4x's but it's a great model.

The disadvantage of the fixed 4x power Leup FXII scope is that it's just at the upper end of what most guys can tolerate without a rest. The crosshairs get twitchy, and it makes guys think they're bobbling all over the place. It's nice having the variable power to get down to 2x when shooting off hand, but still have the option to crank it up when supported.

Depending how far you'll plan to be shooting, you might also consider an open style red dot sight like the Burris FastFire III.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have tried scopes but prefer an UltraDot on a wheelgun. No magnification needed for the distances that I am likely to shoot. A quality dot sight is better in low light than a scope. Also lighter and smaller.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Many gun shops do not carry a big stock of "extended eye relief" scopes. However, as mentioned, many on-line places do carry a good selection. As noted, many major manufacturers offer them. I own quite a few for my Contender barrels & some on other handguns. I also enjoy various red dots for handguns too. For deer hunting, a 2x scope, or no more than a 4x is generally the best choice. For faster target acquisition a red dot can not be beat. Just no magnification. I always recommend a quality scope from a good manufacturer for seriously recoiling handguns.

pisgah

Buckeye
I tried numerous scopes on handguns for several years but was always frustrated by them. Off the bench in controlled conditions they were great; in the field with improvised shooting positions, they were problematic. Even with generous eye relief and low power, I had tremendous difficulty quickly finding my target in the narrowed field of view of the scope. Finally at a point where I was about to give up on scopes and go to iron sights only, I decided to try a red dot sight, in my case a fairly inexpensive Tasco Propoint. Problems solved! Zero magnification allowed instant sight acquisition with both eyes open, and the 3 minute dot, which I had feared would be too big to be of much use at longer ranges, actually provided surprising precision far beyond ranges I would ordinarily shoot.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Most larger gun shops in my area carry at least a few handgun scopes. I'm a fan of Leupold handgun scopes. I have long arms and have found some of the cheaper scopes don't have quite enough eye relief for me.

jrh3225

Bearcat
I just purchased a Henry 44 mag. Big Boy and was wondering if a Tasco ProPoint would work on it since it would not be used on shots over a hundred yards.
Has anyone used it on a rifle?

5of7

Hunter
Always buy a good quality scope. Burris and Leupold are both good quality scopes.

The last pistol scope I bought, was a Leupold 2X that I bought on Gunbroker for 1/2 what it would have cost wholesale had I bought it new.

It was fine with no problems, but if it had been in need of repair, all I would have to do it send it to Leopold, and they would have fixed it for me. 8)

s4s4u

Hunter
jrh3225 said:
I just purchased a Henry 44 mag. Big Boy and was wondering if a Tasco ProPoint would work on it since it would not be used on shots over a hundred yards.
Has anyone used it on a rifle?

I have one on a Camp Carbine.

contender

Ruger Guru
In general, most red dots will work on rifles, handguns & even shotguns. Do not use air rifle red dots on firearms & vis-a-versa.

bikiboki

Bearcat
I've got a Burris 2X7 32mm with the Ballistic Plex reticle on my SRH...love it (both the revolver and the scope).

Bill

Nanchulla

Bearcat
Leopoldo M8-2X. I'm pretty sure that it's what my Dad had on a SBH. Very accurate scope. It's been 25 years, so I may be mixed up.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I just took the 2X Weaver off my SRH .480, because I had trouble seeing the crosshairs in daylight at much distance. Replaced it with a 4X Leupold with much thicker crosshairs. Not sure how it is going to work out, but I'll know soon. Have a 2.5 x 7 T/C with red illuminated crosshairs I really like, but not sure it will take the recoil of the .480. Just put a C-More railway holographic sight on my BH .45LC that I was using on a Contender. o far, looks like it is going to work out well. Most of my hunting is from stands, not many running shots.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Leupold makes a great 2X-8X pistol scope, Have 2 of them, also have a Bushnell that is higher powered I do not like as well.

Cabela's carries them: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupold-Handgun-Scope/748798.uts

That is for reference, I'd buy on line and find a much cheaper price.

Have even seen some posted for sale here on the forum.

MapleHill

Bearcat
Here is my SRH with a Leupold M8 2X. I love this gun/scope combo. You can still find the Leupold scopes at several online retailers and the various auction sites. Look for the EER scopes