speed loader?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jim Puke

Hunter
Speedstrips are virtually worthless for a quick reload.

You want the Safariland loader at the link below.

http://www.safariland.com/revolver/speedloader---comp-ii-11231.html

9x19

Hunter
The HKS model MK3A will also work. I like their compact size and simple function... and only about $8

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/cylinder-speedloaders/speedloader-prod6858.aspx

s4s4u

Hunter
Speedstrips are virtually worthless for a quick reload.

True, but they are so much easier to carry than a speedloader. I don't worry much about how quickly I can reload my carry gun.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Years ago I used the hks as a Leo and they work real well, carried in a split pouch on your belt and you don't even know you have them on.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I've used both the HKS and Safariland speedloaders and far prefer the Safariland. They are more secure and much less likely to dump the rounds unexpectedly.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I'll second the Speedloader vs the strip. Even my wife can manage those with her S&W model 60.

That said, in a emergency situation, even a speedloader is too slow no matter how fast you think you are. If you can't end it with 5 or 6 in the cylinder, you're probably going to die. Especially if the other guy(s) have you outgunned.

Jim Puke

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
I'll second the Speedloader vs the strip. Even my wife can manage those with her S&W model 60.

That said, in a emergency situation, even a speedloader is too slow no matter how fast you think you are. If you can't end it with 5 or 6 in the cylinder, you're probably going to die. Especially if the other guy(s) have you outgunned.

Yeah, but there are several scenarios that could warrant a quick reload that could save your life. Self defense situations are dynamic and one size does not fit all.

eveled

Hawkeye
Go to five star speed loaders and you won't want anything else. They are far superior to the others that are available IMHO.

Duffy

Bearcat
eveled said:
Go to five star speed loaders and you won't want anything else. They are far superior to the others that are available IMHO.

I'll have to give 5 star a try. I know Safariland is way better than HKS. HKS speed loaders will lose the rounds while jangling around inside your pocket

9x19

Hunter
I was wondering about the earlier statements... I've been using HKS loaders since the early 80s and never had one drop the rounds unintentionally... but I don't carry them in a pocket (too bulky for my pockets). I use either a SL pouch or a spilt-six carrier.

The 5-Star loaders I bought for my LCR (HKS J frame loaders are just a tad too big) appear to be an all-aluminum version of the HKS.

Speed strips work better for me if I Feel I have to pocket carry a reload.

stevemb

Hunter
I'd suggest the speedloader of your choice AND a speed strip. One for a full reload,the other to top off. As the situation demands.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
9x19 said:
I was wondering about the earlier statements... I've been using HKS loaders since the early 80s and never had one drop the rounds unintentionally... but I don't carry them in a pocket (too bulky for my pockets). I use either a SL pouch or a spilt-six carrier.
I used to use HKS speedloaders for my 686 to shoot PPC competition. They were carried in a belt carrier, never loose in a pocket. Several times they released the rounds prematurely since it's possible to twist the release knob inadvertently too soon during a fast reload. The Safariland speedloaders never do this.

9x19

Hunter
I remember the Safariland Comp (II or III?) loaders... very tall for no fumbling... no doubt those were faster for competitions.

5of7

Hunter
I carried a Smith 442 and then a 642 for years and have tried speed loaders, but while they are faster than one at a time reloading, I concluded that they are not fast enough to be all that useful.

Now I carry a LC9s and am much pleased with that, but if I ever go back to a revolver, I will have it altered to receive full moon clips. This type of reloading is fast enough to maybe get you out of a tight spot.....IMO. 8)

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Very strange I was just about to post this same thread for my new speed six. I have tried the HKS ones years ago, and the rounds jiggled, but the new ones say "non jigggle". All the reviews I have read at brownells and elsewhere said the safariland was garbage, and here I hear they are the best.
I don't know what kind to get now, but either way shipping is a killer, a $10 loader, and $10 shipping unless combined with other stuff, but academy doesn't have the HK-3 for the speed six. They have everything else of course.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
gatorhugger said:
I don't know what kind to get now, but either way shipping is a killer, a $10 loader, and $10 shipping rse.

If you have Amazon Prime, the shipping is free for the Safarilands, all of them. That's why we have it at home here, it saves a ton on shipping if you buy on line a lot and there's a bunch of free or hugely discounted movies on demand.

...and the proper one for a Security/Service Six is a Safariland Speedloader - Comp II