GP-100 22 10 shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Did anybody but me notice the GP-100 10 shot .22 shown on Ruger Inside & Out Monday evening. The episode was new as they also showed the FDE stocked ranch rifle in .300 Blackout. The GP-100 had a 6" half lug barrel and a 10 shot cylinder. They also showed and mentioned that the 480 SRH was back in a 6 shot. All good news. Bob! :D

DPris

Buckeye
Relatively old news on the GP. :)
Ruger says it'll be a 5-incher.
Denis

Cordite

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
Relatively old news on the GP. :)

Old but good news in my book.

Once again Mike Fifer and the rest of the Ruger crew are not helping my plan to pay off my credit card by introducing new shiny things that I have to have.

Cordite

DPris

Buckeye
Just when I get to thinking I don't need (or have any room for) any more Rugers, they come out with something that blows that idea right outa the water.

This snub .44 Red is a keeper. :)
Denis

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
when Ruger adds the 3-1/2" five hole Super SP-101 in .41mag, I'll be a happy camper myself :D

jd

I haven't already missed the announcement have I?

rangerbob

Buckeye
If the 10 shot .22 Gp-100 was announced earlier, I missed it. I checked all of my distributors, none are listed. Neither are the 480 SRH's. I have a 10 shot K-22 M617 standard 6" barrel, but a 5" GP-100 would rattle my chain. Bob! :D

mrbumps

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
If the 10 shot .22 Gp-100 was announced earlier, I missed it. I checked all of my distributors, none are listed. Neither are the 480 SRH's. I have a 10 shot K-22 M617 standard 6" barrel, but a 5" GP-100 would rattle my chain. Bob! :D

Davidson's has the SRH in 480, in all barrel lengths.

DPris

Buckeye
It's been in the news for about a month, but not available yet.
Denis

Doesn't really matter, can't feed it so why bother.

Amen to that. I'm starting to wonder how gun stores sell .22 rifles and handguns at all.

I've been literally checking my local Wal-Mart 2-3 times a week for a long, long time and they never have a single box. Even though they have a posted and enforced 3 box per family limit. They do get it in but it disappears like the morning dew. I'm clinging to the hope that the elected GOP Senate will calm down some of the hoarders and we will see it stay in stock on shelves. Someday!

Like most real gun people, I have .22 LR and Magnum tucked away. I've always bought a 500 round brick when I go to a gun show or someplace has them on sale. But as time has gone on, it becomes harder and harder to force yourself to shoot it. If you go out and have a fun afternoon blowing through a full brick... how do you replace it? The stash keeps shrinking and there is never anything added back. So slowly you stop shooting the stuff and only shoot stuff you reload. It's a stupid situation and I'm really tired of it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A 10 shot 22 GP-100 doesn't do much for me but that GP-100 Match Champion™ sure trips my trigger.
...almost like a performance center gun. :D

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
There is plenty of 22LR ammo for sale on the CDNN site if that helps. It's Remington though.

Flatbush

At double the retail price......

More than double! 500 round bulk packs of the cheapest Remington .22 LR for $50 plus shipping?! These are the sorts of bulk packs we used to buy for $18.

A person would have to be desperate to buy that. And doing so just encourages that behavior. I'm all for supply and demand but somehow we have very nearly zero supply. Well... not quite the way an economist means it. Because it is being made and shipped. But somehow it then all gets snapped up and put under beds. And therefore out of circulation. Or sold for 3x the price online. Where the prices are justified by pointing to the supply problem.

There was a time not two years ago when we were in the same position with primers. People wanting $50 for 1000. People willing to pay that price and sometimes still couldn't find any. Eventually supply and demand evened out. .22's have to do the same thing.

Someday.

Hopefully while I'm still alive.

Gregg

farley

Single-Sixer
tulsamal said:

Amen to that. I'm starting to wonder how gun stores sell .22 rifles and handguns at all.

I've been literally checking my local Wal-Mart 2-3 times a week for a long, long time and they never have a single box. Even though they have a posted and enforced 3 box per family limit. They do get it in but it disappears like the morning dew. I'm clinging to the hope that the elected GOP Senate will calm down some of the hoarders and we will see it stay in stock on shelves. Someday!

Like most real gun people, I have .22 LR and Magnum tucked away. I've always bought a 500 round brick when I go to a gun show or someplace has them on sale. But as time has gone on, it becomes harder and harder to force yourself to shoot it. If you go out and have a fun afternoon blowing through a full brick... how do you replace it? The stash keeps shrinking and there is never anything added back. So slowly you stop shooting the stuff and only shoot stuff you reload. It's a stupid situation and I'm really tired of it.

Spoke to the saleslady at the local Walmart this morning. She said the same 4 or 5 people show up every morning and buy up any .22 ammo that comes in. They've been doing it for months. May they rot in hell.

s4s4u

Hunter
The Walmart here has a 1 box per person per day limit, and I have managed to buy 1 box in the past 4 months as that is all I've seen it there.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
farley said:
tulsamal said:

Spoke to the saleslady at the local Walmart this morning. She said the same 4 or 5 people show up every morning and buy up any .22 ammo that comes in. They've been doing it for months. May they rot in hell.

I hope folks like this loose their butt when prices come back down, just like the ones on the AR gouging.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Is this thread about the 10-shot revolver or about hoarding .22 ammunition? I have a perspective to offer on 10-shot revolvers and thought this thread might be the place.

I have owned 2 10-shot revolvers, both S&W. I'm going to make the case that revolvers are properly designed with 6 chambers in a normal sized cylinder, and perhaps 5 chambers in a small cylinder such as the SP-101. The argument is based on the fact that with 10 shots, 3 chambers of the 10 will be within the gas blowback area of the forcing cone.

The chamber being fired obviously should be lined up with the barrel, but the 2 adjacent chambers overlap part of the forcing cone area to the extent that pressurized hot gasses are blown into the adjacent chambers during firing. The 2 adjacent chambers contain brass that is not sealing the chamber like the round being fired. The gasses will enter those chambers and some of the gas will find its way out the rear of the cylinder. This effect is most noticeable on the chamber at 11 o'clock, since there is only a spent brass case with no bullet.

I have confirmed (after consistently being hit with debris - not lead - on the left side of my face) that more gasses exit the left side of the gun. Simply place a white cloth over the gun, fire a few rounds and examine the cloth. There is more to the reasoning along this line. High pressure high velocity hot gas produces a vortex like effect as it enters and exits a chamber (or any nearby tube) the same as an intake manifold on an engine. Gas begins to swirl inside the spent brass case, effectively scouring out the firing residue left inside the case and throwing it sideways out the left side of the gun.

Beyond the 10 round effect above, there is more trouble caused by the same vortex effect. Many Smiths and perhaps Rugers also are drilled and tapped for scopes. Sometimes a scope mounting hole finds itself positioned just behind the forcing cone. The holes are usually plugged with set screws, but often the screws do not fill the tapped hole completely. If not, the high pressure gasses enter the threaded portion of the scope mounting hole and another vortex is created as the gas and lead vapor follow the threads in the remaining portion of the hole. Hot swirling gasses are reflected out of the hole and rearwards (among other places), where they strike the outside of the cylinder at the 12 o'clock position - burning it and depositing lead residue. On a blued gun the gasses can burn up the bluing on the cylinder at these spots in no time if the scope hole is left un-plugged.

There you go, my take on a 10-round cylinder. Some may find them attractive, but there are good reasons to consider sticking with 6 rounds in your revolver.

Carry_Up

k22fan

Blackhawk
Well Carry_Up, I'll chew on your hypothesis for a while before commenting on it, but I think a more practical reason to prefer 6 shot K frame .22s is um … carry up.

Most DAs can be fired DA for accuracy by briefly pausing for final aim using the cylinder stop clicking into the cylinder notch as a staging point. That occurs slightly before hammer release in well timed 6 shot Rugers and S&Ws. Ten shot 617s complete rotation and lock up approximately 2/3s of the way through the DA pull, too early to use the click for DA staging. Polishing the slot in the back of a S&W trigger that has the last contact with the hammer can eliminate feeling the click so this might not matter for DA shooters used to professional trigger jobs. That is one more reason why I don't hire out trigger jobs. Compared to a 6 shot GP 100 .22 I expect the 10 shot GP 100 .22 to be an inferior understudy for centerfires just like the 10 shot 617 is, but I'm going to buy one any way.

I also want to comment on .22 LR availability. I suppose gouging is marvelous capitalism and the gougers are just good businessmen but I would not treat my friends that way. Hoarding when plentiful .22LR was on sale has kept me from being forced to surrender any of my money to the greedy so-and-sos. If you don't hoard when the shooting supplies you continuously consume are on sale you are a fool and choose to eventually fall victim to gougers.