Redhawk Backpacker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Nice looking six shooter!

Redhawk-Kodiak-Backpacker_zpsfc5962bb.jpg

exlogger

Single-Sixer
They had a new one at my LGS for $850. But... they also had a used Alaskan 454 for $650. I went home with the Alaskan for $600, but that Redhawk was incredibly tempting!! Nice lookin Ruger IMO!!

Terry T

Buckeye
Funny thing is that the listed weight on the Ruger web site is the same for the 454 Alaskan as this .44 mag "Backpacker". :shock:
I don't see an advantage. :?
Terry T

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Terry T said:
Funny thing is that the listed weight on the Ruger web site is the same for the 454 Alaskan as this .44 mag "Backpacker". :shock:
I don't see an advantage. :?
Terry T

Grip, feel, and sex appeal!!! :lol:

I had all 3 Alaskans when I bought the Kodiak Backpacker, but since have sold my 44mag Alaskan, as I've always felt it was unwarranted.

With factory grips on my Backpacker and Lett long grips on the Alaskan 454 shows 1.0oz difference for my revolvers. Considering that they weigh almost exactly the same, you wouldn't believe if after feeling the difference in feel and balance in your hand, completely different animals.

The RH KB feels fantastic in hand, albeit the grip is a bit skinny in the neck for my large hands - kinda reminiscent of a single action grip neck, but then when you pull the trigger side by side with an SRH Alaskan... woof... that's where you'll find the advantage to that one spring action...

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I'd like to get a tracing of the grips and get a 4" .45 reshaped to the same grip pattern.

txbandit

Bearcat
Bought one a couple of weeks ago. With Speer Short Barrel Gold Dots it is a joy to shoot. Tried some 300 gr. XTP's; First two weren't bad, next two hurt, last two went back in the box. Within reason, I think this is going to be a gun a shoot a lot.

txbandit

Bearcat
Thanks, Gramps. I had the 300 grainers for my 7 1/2 inch Redhawk that I've had for a couple of years. Just had to find our for myself how they worked in the snub. When I get over the sinus infection I've been fighting lately will try it with normal 240 loads. I really like the idea of having a snubnose version of the same full size revolver. Still deciding if I want to do the same for my Super Redhawk, but have never been comfortable handling the Alaskan.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
Was sorely tempted to order a Kodiak BP 5028 based on form and appearance plus Jeff Quinn's favorable GB review too but in the end, decided on a RH 5026 (4.2" w/ Hogue Monogrip) as better for my intended use. I got my 5026 yesterday and I'm well-pleased but admit that the 5028 BP continues to appeal. Can't have both though...

Boomer said:
Was sorely tempted to order a Kodiak BP 5028 based on form and appearance plus Jeff Quinn's favorable GB review too but in the end, decided on a RH 5026 (4.2" w/ Hogue Monogrip) as better for my intended use. I got my 5026 yesterday and and well-pleased but admit that the 5028 BP continues to appeal. Can't have both though...
Sure, ya can! Save up! :shock: 8) :mrgreen:
gramps

Boomer

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
gramps

Yeah but...

Unlike fine art, these aren't meant to be "wall art" hangings.
But then, suppose some of you actually do that??? :wink:

Boomer said:
gramps said:
gramps

Yeah but...

Nah - I think just about everyone here shoots the snot of all their guns. I know I do, with the exception of my 7.5" 357 Redhawk. It's just to darn big (and the stock grips don't fit my hand that well), compared with my svelte 3" GP100. I do pull it out every once and a while when my friends have a "rare and oddball gun" shoot.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Boomer said:
gramps said:
gramps

Yeah but...

I have a couple dozen Ruger revolvers, and a couple dozen others in other brands. None of them are "wall art". They all do a bit of "hanging" during a year, but it's not on the wall, it's on my belt.

Oh yeah... and one of them is a Redhawk Kodiack Backpacker... :twisted:

davcar.45

Bearcat
I bought one on Tue, ordered from kygunco.com Can't wait to get it. My first pistol when I was 19yrs old was a Ruger Redhawk, blue, 7.5" That was 29 years ago. I sold it probably 25 years ago and wish I had it back. Well, I saw this Kodiak and nobody I could find had it in stock so I got on notification lists at KY Gun Co. This was on Monday, on Tue KY Gun notified as in stock. I ordered and it must have been the only one they had because it was out of stock again after I ordered it. That was within 30 minutes of the notification.