Stag Grips..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
One of the virtues of the Single Action revolver is the way it may be adorned with handsome grips. For many years I've gathered up grips of exotic woods, and of late began looking to stag.

Here are three of my sixguns, one a Colt, the other Rugers, stocked in stag:

Bob Wright

Mus408

Hunter
Lookin' good! I have a set for my Ruger NV but have the woods on right now.

rich44

Bearcat
I'm also a big fan of Stag grips and not just for single actions.

07cc84e4-9200-4fca-9a80-14a24d8bce14_zpsb3125d51.jpg

redhawkstags007_zpsa07393a3.jpg

45s007_zps15504fe0.jpg

RugerSixes004_zpsb613db1c.jpg

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Bob and Rich, those are some handsome looking six guns in stag you have there !!!!!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Rumrunner said:
Very nice. Bob, what do the right sides look like?

Regrettably I don't have a Wright side family portrait, but here is the Colt:

The Vaquero:

And the Ex-Bisley Super Blackhawk .45 Colt:

And, thank you for asking.

Bob Wright

ken s

Bearcat
The stag is not as expensive as you would think. I went to the pet store, hand picked a few pieces of elk stag. making sure to look for the solid outside bark. spent $20. then with a little work. ok a LOT of work,,,The grips came out great. I'd be happy to post a pict. if someone would tell me how...
They are on a .22 single six 1985 version I just picked up. Love the gun... fun to shoot.

Ken s, welcome to the forum! For info on posting pictures, go to the "gallery" and the first thread is a tutorial. I am interested on where in a pet store you get stag?
gramps

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
" I am interested on where in a pet store you get stag? "

Me too !!!!!! What pet store, Gramps I'll pick you up on the way.......

ken s

Bearcat
ok, did a second set of stag. Our local pet store...it's really AGWAY, a garden,pet supply store. They have a box of elk antler chews...I've seen them around. I dove into the box and bought a lot for $25. now...look at the end and get as much 'ivory' as you can..avoid the inner soft center. When I band sawed it,,it cut toward the outside rough bark....cutting out as much as I could of the soft inside... It works like ivory, and buffs up like ivory too. easy to work and sand.
it really adds character. feels 'right' in the hand...

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Well come on Ken post some pictures of your stuff....we want to see, before we go digging through chew boxes at the pet stores.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I love genuine Stag Deer grips. They are very easy to work like 'ken s' posted, similar to Ivory and MOPearl, and do polish up great. Lucky enough to find these old Sambars recently at a gunshow for $75 because they were badly in need of refurbishing.
These on my Colt and those on my Vaqueros below are "first cuts" from right above the crown and have lots'a "popcorn". Really hard to find first cuts these days:
orig.jpg

Pointers or Ajax European Stag (probably from New Zealand where European Stag deer have been transplanted for many years) notice how white they are even though old:
orig.jpg

Melvyn Tyler Tru Fit India Sambar Stag:
orig.jpg

1960's Pointer Sambar Stag:
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

They do make great pet chews. My Beagle was very interested and really sniffed my grips while shooting the above photos! Don't leave your guns w/stag out if you have a pooch!
orig.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, a piece of matching stag. I've repaired broken off corners before and they hardly show.
The front bottom corner of this grip was broken off:
medium800.jpg

Cut away the damaged piece by undercutting the grip panel. If you make the cut at the edge of some bark, the seam will never show. Sand the cut perfectly flat. Make a matching angled cut on the oversize replacement piece and glue together with crazy glue. Then sand and polish the replaced corner to match the grip frame corner. Stag is the easiest to repair.

ken s

Bearcat
I've tried everything to get pictures on the site..and I know computers....oh well.

anyone interested in pictures, send me your e mail and I'll send them to you... along with a S and W I put stags on, and
some ivory work pictures too.

I'm hunting for some more stag...I cleaned out my local pet store and I'll check out another store...I have a stainless grip frame on the way and may
do a THIRD set of stag to hand fit to that frame...I like doing it anyway...cutting the stag properly to get as much of the hard 'ivory' on the outside is the main
thing..I use a band saw, and go really slow...the more hard bark on the outside, the better it looks... Ken

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Well, Ken sent me some photos of his handy work from the pet store supply, not bad, not bad at all and what a cost savings. I guess I'll be going to the pet store to dig around in the dog chews section to see what I can find.