44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jim Puke

Hunter
They made stainless model Blackhawk flattops for distributors Talo and Lipsey's in limited numbers. They also made a few New Vaquero Sheriff models in stainless...not sure if those were distributor specials or not.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
HW,
I have a pair of these in 5 1/2" (consecutive #'s) which I purchased a few months ago from fellow forum member ACRYLICTNK. Contact him to see if he has more as I believe he had more at that time. These are a Lipsey's item.
Best wishes in your search
-Justice B. Swift (AKA Just B.S.)

mic214

Bearcat
I just traded into a stainless Vaquero in .44 special with a 4-58" barrel. According to the serial number, it was made in 2010. I didn't get a box or any papers, but I believe mine is from Lipsey's:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I don't know why, but I find these things very often at great prices. I can't explain it either because you would think 44 Special folks would keep them. This leads me to believe many of them are ending up at dealers, someone buys it, finds a lack of ammo or the price of ammo, then sells or trades it in on the cheap?

I find Stainless 44 mag Vaqueros too, can't explain it but I buy every one I find because its like buying gold coins at half price.

I even happened into various versions of like new S&W 396's.

I do like the Blued Bisley Flattop though, maybe best.

mic214

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack said:
mic214 said:
I just traded into a stainless Vaquero in .44 special with a 4-58" barrel. According to the serial number, it was made in 2010. I didn't get a box or any papers, but I believe mine is from Lipsey's:

Where did you get those grips. I really like the way they go with the Stainless.

They came on the pistol and are a set of Hogues. I don't think they are original to the gun as all of the photos I have seen of these stainless .44 specials have had the black checkered grip.....

mic214

Bearcat
I just got confirmation from Jason here on the board that my .44 special Vaquero, is in fact, one of a special run of Vaquero's from Lipsey's. He advised that it was shipped to them in March of 2011 and that they originally came with the black checkered grips.

I was able to score a new set of factory grips from a member on another board:

I took it out to the range today and it shoots pretty well, if I say so myself (15 yards from the benchrest):

adam12

Single-Sixer
Nice looking revolver. Is that what's called a polished stainless or the like? Has one of the exclusive dealers ever offered a nickel finish on a special run of any Ruger handgun?

mic214

Bearcat
adam12 said:
Nice looking revolver. Is that what's called a polished stainless or the like? Has one of the exclusive dealers ever offered a nickel finish on a special run of any Ruger handgun?

Yes, that is what Ruger refers to as Polished stainless steel. The picture does not do it justice.

As for a nickle finish, I have not heard of any being made by Ruger for anyone, but that is not to say it has never been done.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Here's my SS .44 Special...Talo, I believe but got it off GB for the same as a Flat Top blued model. While I'm not generally a fan of SS guns, this one makes a lot of sense from a usefulness point of view....good barrel length, great sights, nearly impervious material and finish and it's accurate as I can shoot. What's not to like, I asked myself? I re-stocked it with a set of home made rosewood grips, lightened the trigger pull with a "poor man's trigger job" and enjoyed it. Often as not, it's the .44 I pack when doing chores here on the farm.
Best Regards, Rod

xtratoy

Buckeye
Here is mine with a Super Blackhawk hammer and a taller front sight from a Stainless 7 1/2" barreled 45 Colt Blackhawk. I plan on shooting some 300 grain cast bullets once I get them loaded.