Specialized tool for Ruger revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kerby

Bearcat
I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere else in here. Anyway, I ran across an old Brownells' ad online for a tool called the Ruger Popper, which is used to assist in disassembling a GP 100. Evidently, it's no longer available through Brownells but I thought there was a fellow online advertising that he manufactures a similar tool. Anyone know where to find one of the originals or who the guy may be that sells the homemade one?

Thanks for any help with this.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
The only special tools needed are a spanner for the cyl and a spanner for the new models with the bushing firing pins

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
KERBY,

Did a quick browse. Looks like the person in the below link offers (or at least used to offer) a similar tool.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75884&start=15

V/R

Charles

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The tool is a modified "screwdriver" that makes it easier to release the trigger group from a GP-100 (and apparently an SP-101 also). At the very reasonable cost GP100man asks, it's worth it for the convenience.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have one, and it is a nice tool to have.
After removing the Hammer you go in through the top, and depress the plunger.

I make up sanding sticks using craft pop sickel sticks with different grits of wet or dry sandpaper glued to them. Mark the grit with a majic marker (400, 600, 800 etc). I use the sanding sticks to slick up the trigger group housing, as well as the frame where it goes. After getting the rough spots slicked up the trigger group is much easier to remove, and reinstall.

Bob

Kerby

Bearcat
Thanks Guru:

I heard back from him...he's anticipating making more this week. The cost is 10.00, which I need to send to him.

RCP1936

Bearcat
Kerby said:
Thanks Guru:

I heard back from him...he's anticipating making more this week. The cost is 10.00, which I need to send to him.
Got mine from him a couple months ago

Kerby

Bearcat
Someone in here said they use a paint can opener...I went to Home Depot, bought one for .46 and used a Dremel to grind it to fit the plunger. It works pretty well, so I'll keep it in my range bag but I plan to order a tool from GP100man anyway for the tool box, as I expect his works even better.