Security Six Vs S&W 686-6

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
As much as I love Rugers, the 686 is my favorite hand gun. I have a no dash and two dash threes. If the 686-6 has the lock I don't think I would trade.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
If you shoot double action at all the shorter pull on the Smith takes some getting used to. I find people don't shoot both well. I'll stick with my long action Rugers.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
The -6 does have the lock. Makes no never mind, I really didn't want to give up the Security six. Just needed the positive reinforcement.
Thanks for saving me! :oops:

bogus bill

Hunter
My company used to issue us stainless 4" speed six`s and s&w 4" 586`s. The 586`s had the oversized target grips and were bulky to pack. I preferred the grips on the speed six`s. They felt better in the hand and weren't as bulky to pack. I am basically a accumulater and have quite a few smiths but I liked the speed six better.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
That seems to be my issue, I want to buy, but not sell or trade any away so problem solved. I definitely love my 2 Rugers, but if it came push to shove and we were close to a deal, I would still have a tough time giving up the Security six. This is the one I revived from all the years of abuse while riding in a semi. It's a labor of love.

bogus bill said:
My company used to issue us stainless 4" speed six`s and s&w 4" 586`s. The 586`s had the oversized target grips and were bulky to pack. I preferred the grips on the speed six`s. They felt better in the hand and weren't as bulky to pack. I am basically a accumulater and have quite a few smiths but I liked the speed six better.

I will, thanks. I think I wanted a 686 to say I have one, but not bad enough to trade.

contender said:
I own a few S&W revolvers, and I had a 686 many years ago. I sold it & have kept my Rugers. Keep yours.

Onty

Single-Sixer
As far as I know, the best S&W revolvers are -3 and -4. They have CNC machined parts, and generally more accurate than previous models. All -5 and up have MIM parts. Some folks think this is OK, but one of the best custom smiths on the planet, Clements, does not want to work on S&W with MIM parts:

"...I cannot do action work on newer guns with MIM parts. If the back of the trigger has cavities cast in it, then the gun is a MIM gun and not suitable..." http://www.clementscustomguns.com/smithwessonrevolvers.html

IMHO, if you like Security Six, especially if you carry it, keep it. It has that nice balance of weight and durability that neither 19/66 or 586/686 have; one is lighter bud not durable, other is durable but heavy.

However, if you are looking for a shooter, I will look for 686-3/-4 DX (hard to find) or Target Champion like this one here:

target686.jpg

Notice larger hammer spur than on standard 586/686.

David LaPell

Blackhawk
As much as love shooting and owning Smith & Wessons, the only way I would make that trade is for a no lock 686. The Security Six is a fine gun and will handle every and all things the 686 will take. But to me it would have to be no lock version.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
I would never, ever trade my ruger security six for a S&W revolver. I own redhawks and security sixes there the strongest DA revolvers. I have shot many of my stout loads that the screwed together S&W couldn't handle.
I have S&W revolvers but I don't shoot stout loads in them. One must know the limitations of the different brands of handguns.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
This is like an intervention........ I was weak, but I didn't cave!!!!! Thank you all!!!! :D

I'm sure glad I posted this question. I do love my Ruger revolvers.

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
I have a Security Six with a trigger job done on it and I would not trade it for any 686 ever made. I realize the 686 has more resale value in the general market, but for my money the Security Six and the Speed Six are about two of the best revolvers ever made. The only weakness is a heavy trigger pull which can be corrected by a competent gun smith.

Latest posts