SB 41 mag scope mount solution?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
My 6.5" SB in 41 mag got fitted with that weaver clam-shell scope mount last year and it simply won't stay put--no matter how much lock tite or shim stuff I put in it. I suppose I could have the gun drilled and tapped and permanently screw it in--but I would rather avoid until that is a last resort.

Any ideas/suggestions?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Suggestions? Yes, drill and tap it. That's not a last resort, it's a first resort. Anything else is a kludge. Here is one source for really good drill and tap mounts:

http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Not sure what you mean by "clamshell" mount but I've been using a Weaver no drill mount on my 41 mag for 20+ years without any movement. What part of the mount is giving you trouble? Is it the screw that comes loose or the barrel band?

contender

Ruger Guru
I disagree that you should drill & tap. Get a different mount.
I own a 454 Casull, and a 41 mag hunter, that both wear no-drill Weigand mounts on. They stay in place & no problems. The 454 delivers more recoil force than a 41 mag. The cost of a different base & even rings will be more than offset by the reduced value of a D&Ted gun. Besides, you can re-convert it to factory configuration & sell the mounts & be ahead of the game if necessary.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Weigand doesn't make a no-drill and tap mount for the Blackhawk. He makes them for many other guns but not the Blackhawk.
For a non-SBHunter that's pretty much been my experience so far.

contender said:
I disagree that you should drill & tap. Get a different mount.
I own a 454 Casull, and a 41 mag hunter, that both wear no-drill Weigand mounts on. They stay in place & no problems. The 454 delivers more recoil force than a 41 mag. The cost of a different base & even rings will be more than offset by the reduced value of a D&Ted gun. Besides, you can re-convert it to factory configuration & sell the mounts & be ahead of the game if necessary.

Contender been around the block a few times I'd give that a try.
Resale on a Drilled & Tapped BlackHawk will diminish value considerably.
I do not believe he would steer you wrong.
Or Trade it in for a 41mag hunter, or keep it and buy the 41 hunter. BTW the Hunter model are sweet. ps

single action

Single-Sixer
I would seriously sell and apply the monies to a .41 hunter. they are equipped with no nonsense rings that will never let go. I have the .44 hunter and it is rock solid and a heckuva shooter. Gunsabam had some for sale here lately in both grip styles. Bob

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
single action said:
I would seriously sell and apply the monies to a .41 hunter. they are equipped with no nonsense rings that will never let go. I have the .44 hunter and it is rock solid and a heckuva shooter. Gunsabam had some for sale here lately in both grip styles. Bob
Would love a 41 hunter--but that's an exclusive-run model (meaning generally unavailable except at over-inflated prices).

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
single action said:

I just checked my safe and I am Pretty sure he is out of the BISLEY frame version unless he got another in :)

As said above, keep the one you have as is if possible and get a HUNTER to side it with. You will not be sorry.
Kevin

s4s4u

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
Suggestions? Yes, drill and tap it. That's not a last resort, it's a first resort. Anything else is a kludge. Here is one source for really good drill and tap mounts:

Agreed. I had a Hunter model and hated the scope being so far forward on the barrel. I bought a standard Bisley and D&T'd a Weigand mount and much happier. A gun is a tool to me, not a showpiece.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
22/45 Fan said:

Agreed. I had a Hunter model and hated the scope being so far forward on the barrel. I bought a standard Bisley and D&T'd a Weigand mount and much happier. A gun is a tool to me, not a showpiece.
If a gun were NOT also a show piece--then how could any of these net forums go on? LOL. Just kidding--I am going to do the drill/tap cause otherwise the gun is useless except for irons.

contender

Ruger Guru
I didn't realize that Weigand didn't offer a no-drill/no tap base for the SB. I was thinking they did. My mistake. But, if you have a Weaver,,, I'd contact Weaver first to see if they can offer any advice on why it won't stay in place before I'd D&T.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I didn't realize that Weigand didn't offer a no-drill/no tap base for the SB. I was thinking they did. My mistake. But, if you have a Weaver,,, I'd contact Weaver first to see if they can offer any advice on why it won't stay in place before I'd D&T.
Removed the base yesterday and restored the factory iron site. I think the problem is that the mount being made of aluminum is just not able to withstand the repeated recoils at the barrel grip--if it were steel or had a way to keep that band from opening--might work.

catfish621

Single-Sixer
I drilled and tapped my Blackhawk and used Leupold base and rings. They look nice and are solid. Then I decided I didn't like the extra weight and balance with the scope and took it off. Now got 2 holes in top strap. Oh well. The Hunter models are heavier than the Blackhawk if that is a concern.