Think I can bring it back to life?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I bet it could be brought back to life, new springs and some grips even some tlc and I bet it will come back to life. I almost wonder if that is fire damage around the cylinder release.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I think it's a done deal waiting to happen. Looking forward to the results!!! :eek:
I guess I should have read the last post......... Still no doubt in my mind you would have revived it.

SATCOM said:
Guys,

Ya'll need to look at old posts concerning RoninPA's ability to revive old Scty Sixes!!

SATCOM

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Another tackle box gun:
standard.jpg

Former tackle box gun. Now a flat top, all steel favorite:
orig.jpg

Pal Val

Buckeye
I showed this to an armorer who has fixed some of my guns. He gave me a logical answer. For about $700, he can turn that into a $500 gun.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Return it to the factory for repair. Cheapest cost option by far.

Long ago and far away, I bought a stainless Speed Six in a pawn shop that was almost in the same condition. It was um, cheap but did not fire. Looked like it had been dragged behind a freight train.

I sent it to Ruger in hopes of a hammer and grips (they were about 50% intact). About two months later I received a package. I had almost forgotten about the gun.
Inside the gun had morphed, in an understatement.

New hammer, New pin, new trigger. New front sight. New crane. I think the cylinder was new? Brand new walnut grips. The crown was recut, and the entire gun had been re-brushed like new. The only reality check was the s/n and a few pits left behind that couldn't be brushed out. I literally had a like-new factory-rebuilt Speed Six.
The invoice was $52. The grips were listed as $29 alone. Needless to say, I happily sent out a check that day! I don't know if the gun became an after-hours pity project while at Ruger, but I will never forget the deed. Still have that gun of course!

This was 1999, and I'm sure all the spare parts are not all available today. Still, I'd send a gun to Ruger for repairs done the right way the first time.
Send the gun to the factory what made it. If the gun is too far gone, they'll tell you. And that will be your final answer. :D