Who's the resident BlackHawk expert?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
My buddy just got in some really old three screw BHs with squared back trigger guards. I had some questions,.....

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
not me but post 'em here and you will get responses.

Hopefully your buddy knows that the Dragoon style grip frames arent original to the 3 screw Blackhawks. If they are Super Blackhawks then maybe.

the "squared back trigger guards" usually designate the Super Blackhawks, just what is marked on the left side of the cylinder frame, just below the cylinder window?????
Lots of folks here who can answer about ANY question you just may have........ 8) :roll: :wink:

k22fan

Blackhawk
It is also possible, just not likely, that those Dragoon frames are brass. We can always hope. :D

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Have some more questions. Guy claims it's a KS458-N , but it has a unfluted cylinder and a squared trigger guard. Did this model come this way !!?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I wanna say the KS458-N would have a round trigger guard but would have the unfitted cylinder.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Old model standard Blackhawks (not 44 Mags) can be found with owner installed squared back trigger guard grip frames from Super Blackhawks. The grip frames readily interchange.

An old model 3 screw SBH would read: "Super Blackhawk" on the left side of frame. They would all have non-fluted cylinders and squared back trigger guards. It's a model #S46 with 6 1/2" barrel, S47 with 7 1/2" barrel, and S47B with Brass grip frame.

Model # KS458-N is a stainless steel, Super Balckhawk with 4 5/8" barrel, New Model with non-fluted cylinder. It does not have a squared back trigger guard. It has a standard Blackhawk size grip frame with round trigger guard.

Hope this helps,

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SHOOTER said:
Have some more questions. Guy claims it's a KS458-N , but it has a unfluted cylinder and a squared trigger guard. Did this model come this way !!?

No, someone could have easily swapped grip frames (which is most likely) or, the barrel has been cut from a 7 1/2" or 10" barrel. Not a factory model as is, but the non-fluted cyl is correct for those three barrel lengths.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
How did we get from "some really old three screw BHs with squared back trigger guards."
to
"Side says New model super Blackhawk."?????
and
More than one three screw to one New Model?

SATCOM