Super Blackhawk hammer extension?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vjtorsell

Bearcat
Anybody know of a hammer extension that works on a Ruger super Blackhawk? Regular, not Hunter.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
I am guessing so you can reach it around your scope.....

Hammer extensions often cause hammer breakage with time.
Also slow your lock time.

If it was me I would raise the scope or go to a bisley hammer

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I have used hammer extensions on my T/C Contenders for decades with no broken hammers or ill effects. I can not recall seeing an extension for a Super Blackhawk in my tinkering. You'd have to measure the dimensions of the hammer, & look for one that will fit. It may be a hard thing to do, but once you get the dimensions, & find a company that makes extensions, you could possible call them to discuss the possibility of one fitting.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Vjtorsell said:
Anybody know of a hammer extension that works on a Ruger super Blackhawk? Regular, not Hunter.

Welcome to the forum.

A Bisley hammer won't help you, it's virtually the same height as the Super hammer which is the same hammer used on the Hunter.

Find a hammer ext. that you like from all the many available and mount the ext. on the narrow part of the Super hammer in front of the wide spur. Or just grind the Super hammer spur narrow enough to fit the ext.

Vjtorsell

Bearcat
Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess I should have mentioned that I don't have a scope at all. Just a set of fiber optics I put together by mixing and matching a HiViz front red sight with a rear green single six sight made by williams fire sights. (Luckily I have a single six to put the extra front sight on) I didn't have any need for a scope before with my plain black sights, and I REALLY have no need for a scope with these fiber optics. I only want the extension because I put a set of pachmayr grips on it and it's a little hard to reach the hammer, but not terribly difficult. Hopefully it would make the gun slightly more functional, but mostly I think it would look cool. I've researched a few options and no one makes one that's intended for it. I was just hoping someone might know one that'll fit with no modifications to the gun. I would be willing to make modifications to the extension if there is one that's close.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Vjtorsell said:
. I was just hoping someone might know one that'll fit with no modifications to the gun. I would be willing to make modifications to the extension if there is one that's close.

OK, I see.

I took the factory hammer ext. off of my scoped Winch. '94. By filing the gap that fits over the hammer spur a little wider, it can easily be fit to my Super Blackhawk hammer.
Probably any of them can be.
Hope that helps.