Buffalo Bore 180 in Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am thinking about using the .357 Magnum Buffalo Bore 180 Grain Hard Cast LFN-GC Bullet in my NM Blackhawk, 4 5/8 inch revolver and in my SS 4 inch as a SD round. I know the Hawk will digest the buffalo bore without a hiccup but I am not sure about the Security Six. Anyone out there with experience with this round?

medicdave

Blackhawk
Are we talking 4 or 2 legged sd? I'd be worried about over penetration with a heavy hard cast in a social situation. The 125gr mag load has the highest 1 shot stop record on two legged vermin and with the reduced risk of over penetration might be a better idea. For woods walking and 4 legged big nasties the 180 hard cast out of the blackhawk would be as good as your going to get without a cartridge starting with a 4. Not sure how the security six would hold up to it over time though. Longevity with magnum loads was a reason ruger brought out the gp100 and smith the l frame.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I think enough of this hardcast Buffalo Bore stuff has been posted all over the internet for Jeff & Boge to do a penetration test of several calibers before some innocent bystander gets killed.

DPris

Buckeye
SS can handle it, but again- very poor choice for defensive uses against people.
Sundles says that load was developed specifically for those who wanted a deep-penetrating bear round for .357s.

Over-penetration in human torsos would be very in-efficient as well as hazardous to anybody behind the "target".
Denis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There are dozens of personal self-defense rounds out there now. I wouldn't want to use a hardcast hunting round for that.

Ammunition ▶ Handgun Ammunition ▶ 357 Magnum ▶ Self Defense

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=15457

Pistolero, I do carry 180's in a 357 Mag when in the woods and would run into animals that bite and stomp. The security six will handle it. But if I'm more oncerned about people I tend to use a Jacketed hollow point. I want the energy expended in the body.

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your feedback. I am considering the BB 180 grain .357round for use in my Blackhawk when I am hiking in the Northern New Mexico high country and exploring the deserts in SW New Mexico primarily for protection against four legged critters, but if I am attacked by a "two-legged" predator in these remote and sparsely populated areas, I would then use that same round to protect my life.

If I happen to be carrying in a populated area, I normally carry my Security Six .357 mag with 125 grain jacketed hollow points or 148 grain hollow base wad-cutters loaded backwards.

Since the Buffalo Bore website lists velocities for small framed S&Ws, I wondered how they would preform in a Security Six.

Sincerely,