SP101 -- Replacement Front Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fountain E. Conner

Single-Sixer
I got a 2 1/4" bbl SP101 (.357 magnum/38 sp) with a bobbed hammer recently. Shoots like a dream against a light colored background, poa with everything I tried. As accurate, and as easy to carry as my LCR with less recoil.

'Couldn't find the front sight by braille against a black background tho' -- painted the front sight like my LCR -- better, but not good -- not as visible as LCR against the SP's stainless steel. And somehow the gun is now shooting a little to the right now (may be my paint job).

Does Ruger make a replacement front sight for the SP101? If so, what? And does it change the point of impact? If available, I'd like something like the white dot my wife has on her S&W 351C. I can see that under any condition I've tried.

Thanx,

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
These are a big improvement over the stock sight.
SPwMeps1.jpg

SPwMeps2.jpg

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2008/01/meprolites-front-sight-on-ruger-sp101.html

medicdave

Blackhawk
Look at xs big and standard dot sights. I like them a lot on my social revolvers. Rears are bowen rough country. The standard dot works fine with a square rear notch.

Big dot on a 325pd

Standard dot on a 396ng

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I got the Gemini Customs red fiber optic sight for my SP101 and its like two different worlds. It made a huge difference in point of aim (I thought I was shooting a little high with the factory sight) and just overall visibility. If you are going to swap out the sight yourself, spend the extra $10 and let them predrill it for you, saves a lot of headaches.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
I no longer own this Gemini Custom SP101, but it had the Gemini Gold Dot front sight.
The new Wiley Clapp SP101 has a brass bead front sight and Novak rear!

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Wheelyfun44 said:
I no longer own this Gemini Custom SP101, but it had the Gemini Gold Dot front sight.
The new Wiley Clapp SP101 has a brass bead front sight and Novak rear!
That is one pretty looking gun. Why did you part with it, if you don't mind me asking?

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Tinman931 said:
That is one pretty looking gun. Why did you part with it, if you don't mind me asking?

Because I am addicted to obtaining the newest "shiny object", shooting it for a month or two.....and selling it for a loss, in order to get the next "shiny object". It is a problem, and someday I'll calm down and keep it simple. (at least, I can hope....)

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Wheelyfun44 said:
Tinman931 said:

Because I am addicted to obtaining the newest "shiny object", shooting it for a month or two.....and selling it for a loss, in order to get the next "shiny object". It is a problem, and someday I'll calm down and keep it simple. (at least, I can hope....)
Not a bad habit of you can afford it. Hope you're enjoying something "shiny" right now :)

markallen

Bearcat
Another fan of the Gemini Customs Small Wonder fiber optic sight.
Took me about ten minutes to install myself. Just need a 1/16 punch and drill bit, and drill.