If Ruger was designing a single action for CCW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drastic_quench

Bearcat
What would you want it to be like? Let's set aside the SA as CCW debate. If it was being done, and they asked for your input, what would that revolver look like? Caliber, barrel length, ejector rod or no, birdshead grip or not?

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I would like it to be like the shopkeeper only in a 45 colt I think that would be cool, oh ya on a mid size frame, or the same thing but in a 327 oh ya that would be it.

5of7

Hunter
drastic_quench said:
What would you want it to be like? Let's set aside the SA as CCW debate. If it was being done, and they asked for your input, what would that revolver look like? Caliber, barrel length, ejector rod or no, birdshead grip or not?

I think that they could do away with the ejector rod, as by the time one ran out of ammo, he or the other guy would already be dead......and if not, then he would be shortly because reloading a SA revolver takes too long, except for of course, highly trained people and highly trained people probably would not opt for the SA in the first place.

Other than that, I would think a barrel 3" or shorter with bird head grips, in any suitable caliber for PD would do the job all right.

Me? I am gonna stick with the LC9s. It carries better and is a lot faster getting it started. 8)

Vortex

Bearcat
3" 45 colt with a Bisley hammer and birds head grip with low profile novak sights

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I would like a black stainless .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim flat top Blackhawk with a birds head grip. I would like a white dot Novak front sight and an all black Novak rear sight. The barrel should be just long enough that the ejector rod will knock the empties out.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Not sure how to improve on the "sheriff's model" style. Perhaps a Bisley style hammer.

With a 3" or 3.5" bbl, could have an ejector rod to at least partially extract cases.

With no ejector rod, perhaps a 2" or 2.5" bbl would be good.

My custom version of a sheriff's model:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Mine is an ejectorless 2.5" Convertible Birdshead Stainless Vaquero with Super Blackhawk hammer. 45acp/colt.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I like my Birdshead 3.75" 45colt.(large frame)
I think an ejector rod is a must.
And the capability to handle full power loads when you travel through thick skulled jungles.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
45, 44 or 41, a three inch barrel, Birdshead Grip, Super hammer and loaded to something a little more powerful than a 44 special. The 'swing-out cylinder' idea blows my mind. :D :D

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ruger, and Dave Clements, have already made it:

.44 Special, 240 gr. Remington semi-jacketed hollow points. Holster by Graveyard Jack Gunleather.

Bob Wright

JmE

Single-Sixer
Like another had already posted... it's on my hip. A Talo Birdshead New Vaquero in .45 ACP. It's stainless and has a 3.75" barrel. The ejector rod works fine. The only thing I might have suggested was cut down the cylinder and frame for .45 ACP only. However, that would be unreasonable from a business POV, IMHO, as this model can have a .45 Colt or .ACP cylinder.

It rides in a Tom Threepersons holster from Graveyard Jack; mostly open carried with some concealed carry using the same holster.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger New Vaquero mid frame in 45 ACP/45 AR, 2-2 1/2" barrel, no ejector, with birdshead grip.

And extra quick change cylinders cut for ACP in full moon clips and carried pre-loaded. Cylinder swap speed re-loading is much faster than ejector unloading in even unpracticed hands. Moon clips keep rounds in pre-loaded extra cylinders from dropping during speed loads.