If Ruger was designing a single action for CCW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm gonna go against the tide a little bit.

I've carried, very extensively, a number of different SA's for my concealed carry option. I've tried conventional full size 4-5/8" models, Sheriff length models, and birds head models. There's not much difference in carryability between any of them, and I can carry any of them very effectively and comfortably.

They are all bulky enough that the 3/4" shorter barrels don't make much difference. And the birdshead grip doesn't change the carryability much either, but it does affect the shootability.

So the single change that makes the biggest difference to me is a de-horned grip frame. A nice rounding of the grip frame on any 4-5/8" or 3-3/4" flattop-sized revolver makes the biggest improvement to me.

And all this assumes a feller is using the correct holster.

WAYNO.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
4 inch barrel, aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing, dished out right recoil shield and dished out loading gate, bottom rear corner of grip cut off and instructions included for removing ejector rod housing.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Aluminum grip frame, scandium alloyed aluminum reduced size cylinder frame, 5 shot titanium cylinder, 4 5/8" stainless rifled tube inside an aluminum sleeve with a flash light mounting rail, rubber laser grips, a red dot sight on a see through mount, tritium night sights, and an aluminum loading lever and ram rod. The Ruger New Army!

Seriously, after an unfortunate trade my first Old Army completed a pair kept for protection by a retired gent while gold panning the desert streams of various states in the middle of the country. He figured rural sheriff deputies weren't going to hassle an old geezer over muzzle loaders. That's the most logical rational I've heard for a carrying a SA for protection, but what the heck, I'm sure quite a few plastic fantastic fans think carrying a DA revolver is absurd, and we don't need to keep up with the SWAT team.

medicdave

Blackhawk
This ones been on my mind for quite a while. It's a usfa, but a new vaquero would come out about the same. Robar did the work on this one. Xs night sights, rib, robar coating etc. 6 rounds of 45acp with officers magazines as speed loaders wouldn't leave me feeling under gunned.

Kinda looks familiar to the one I'm finishing up for the wife. Hers is on a single six, light and handy to learn on and carry around the farm for critter control.

dougader

Hunter
I had Alan Harton make up these two, in 32 HRM and 45 Colt, just like I want them:

i-tNFnGPL-L.jpg

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
1c71508e-ced4-4faa-a841-b9b9d707ab63_zps60082f87.jpg

2014-10-24155939_zpsca02271a.jpg

Same way I've been doing it for 40 years, with the exception of cool weather when it goes under a coat. Typically if I'm carrying a SA revolver, it's because that's what I have on that day and I'm running into town for something.

I do like the addition of the XS sight on gun in the AH article; but I would prefer in on the shortest ramp possible to keep the weight down. I suppose if I was going to purpose-build one for CCW I might use 45 Cowboy Special brass, for slicker ejection, and an aluminum grip frame/ejector housing to keep the weight down.

medicdave

Blackhawk
As a medic Sarge that last picture makes me cringe. Mexican carry is a poor poor idea once you've seen an AD to the nether regions. Same goes for pocket carry without a holster. I'm guilty on both counts in the past, but never again. Get a holster man!

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
I've seen them too, Dave; lost a good hunting buddy to one with a heavy-loaded 45 Colt. Doing stupid things with fast cars'/bikes, fast women, fast horses etc will all get you killed. As an old cop, I have seen all that and then some. I'm still here, at least for today ;)

For the record, Dave is right and I don't recommend that anyone else Mex carry.

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, I wasn't trying to kill your thread here. I actually own a couple of holsters and strongly favor crossdraw for field carry. I wish somebody would get busy and design an IWB rig similar to the Safariland 27 for 4 3/4 and shorter SA's. Currently, I think the Mernickle is about the best option for OWB CCW of the SA revolver.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar8.html