Questions for Blackhawk and Vaquero Owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Barkis

Bearcat
I am new to the forum, although not new to Ruger revolvers. I've owned a convertible Single Six and now own a GP 100 4" and an LCR in 38 SPL. I cast and reload both 38 and .357. While I like the DA revolvers, I'm getting bitten by the SA bug and have been looking at Blackhawks and Vaqueros in .357. I'm also toying with the idea of perhaps getting one of these guns in 45 Colt/45 ACP, but the expense of getting dies and molds on top of the expense of the gun is a concern, not to mention the cost of factory loads. I don't shoot CAS. I punch holes in paper for the present, but can see myself doing some hunting in the future.

For those who have owned or do own both of these guns, how different do you find them in handling and shooting? Is there one you prefer over another? Why? Thanks for taking the time to reply. -- Barkis

schloss

Single-Sixer
I think they're similar, yet still a little different. I can shoot the 357 blackhawk better than my others. It's pretty heavy when compared to 45 blackhawks, or any of the new vaqueros. So, it's pretty stable. I prefer it over the others for shooting, but that doesn't factor in my desire for additional power, or that it gets pretty heavy in a holster. The adjustable sights are nice, although I actually prefer fixed sights at this point in life.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have them all...and prefer the 44 special...but that is just me. I prefer the balance of power/weight and the overall shootability of the gun. However, the 44 special is a reloaders caiiber and like the 45 colt...factory ammo is cost prohibitive.

For an economical all around gun, the 357 is probably your best bet, if you do not reload.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I happen to own a few of each of the ones you mentioned.
I'll start by saying that I enjoy them all. From the 38/357's, the 41 mags, the 44 spls & mags, to the 45 convertibles. All of them have their place with me.

Overall, for most general use, and to be able to be a bit more diverse,, I'd suggest the Blackhawk over the Vaquero. Current offerings,,, the Blackhawk will handle full power loads if you should choose them, while the New Vaqueros aren't recommended for "Ruger Only" loads. Plus,, the Blackhawks have adjustable sights, whereas the New Vaqueros have fixed sights.
Now, if you go searching for an original Vaquero,, it'll handle the "Ruger Only" loads as they were made on the same frames as the Blackhawks.
As for calibers,,,, I used to think the 38/357 with the 9mm cylinder was the cats meow. However, I have found the 45 convertibles to be a bit better overall when it comes to shooting. You can slip the 45 acp cylinder in & enjoy good accuracy & light recoil, or you can swap it out for the Colt & stoke the Blackhawk with serious bear medicine w/o worry! You can shoot light "cowboy" loads or load up some long range thumpers.

Of the choices you mentioned,,, from MY experience, and MY personal feelings, if I had only one to choose,,, I'd opt for the 45 convertible.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
If hunting is in your future, then your cartridge needs to have a 4 in it. That's not an internet cliche, it's a matter of shooting ability compared to effective killing range. A decent shooter will be able to outshoot the effective killing range of a 357mag from a support. The 44mag will kill deer as far as you can connect. I know that tends to step on toes, and if a guy is only ever goin to shoot 50yrds or less, it's a moot point; but that's been my experience for handgun hunting at "as far as I can connect" ranges.

The adjustable sights of the Blackhawk make life easier. I love fixed sight vaqueros, but it's frustrating as all get out to find a load that shoots very consistently, but doesn't shoot to POA. On the other hand, it's particularly satisfying to work up a happy load and drop game with a fixie.

gster

Single-Sixer
contender has some good advice. You'll be glad you have adjustable sights. I don't have a 357/9.mm but I see one in my future. For now, I'm having a blast with my NM Blackhawk .45acp/.45Colt.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Barkis, considering what you have discribed about yourself I think it would be very easy for you to slip into a 357mag Blackhawk. After that the single-action world will still be at your door. :D

DGW1949

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Barkis, considering what you have discribed about yourself I think it would be very easy for you to slip into a 357mag Blackhawk. After that the single-action world will still be at your door. :D

I'm with Jimbo on this one.
About the only thing I can add is that me personaly, I'd prefer something on the order of the "mid frame" 50th Anniversary Flat Top, or perhaps an OM 357. Reason is, "regular" NM .357 Blackhawks are made on a heavy .44 Magnum frame, and in my book, are way-too bulky/unbalanced/awakward for what they are.....meaning that ya don't really need a horse pistol for launching a .36 Cal projectile against a paper target, or for most of the hunting chores that you'd put a .38/.357 revolver to.

But that's just me and how I see it.

DGW

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I recently traded my 45 Colt New Vaquero in on the new Blackhawk flat top 45 Colt/ACP convertible. My eyes like the adjustable sights better and the lines of the medium frame Blackhawk looks great to me.
Since you are already a reloader, the cost of setting up for 45 is pretty reasonable. In the mean time bulk 45 ACP ammo is cheaper compared to 45 Colt so you can do some shooting and harvest some brass.
VL

Barkis

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies, everyone. They are helpful. What are the differences in weight between the mid-frame Blackhawk over the NMBH? I think the NMBHs run in the neighborhood of 42oz.

Barkis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Barkis said:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. They are helpful. What are the differences in weight between the mid-frame Blackhawk over the NMBH? I think the NMBHs run in the neighborhood of 42oz.

Barkis
Funny, the weight is about the same because the flattop mid-frame guns have a steel gripframe as opposed to the aluminum gripframe of the Blackhawk. :D

Rclark

Hunter
I think the NMBHs run in the neighborhood of 42oz.
Actually if NMBH is 'blued' it runs a few ounces less than 42 due to alloy grip frame and ejector housing. It is the lightest revolver BH I have.

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
Those old 45 Colts are dangerous pistols. If you ain't careful, every one you let in the house will replace the two or three 357's.

5.7MAN

Bearcat
I say if you are wanting a different caliber then buy the 45 colt/45 acp. The 45 ACP will alow you to shoot almost as cheaply as the 38 Special.

If you are only going to punch paper, then the 357/38 makes a lot of sense.

I have the 45Colt/45 ACP flattop model and love it and have owned the NM model as well great guns!

I agree with Contender the blackhawks with adjustable sights certainly have their place and if I were to hunt with a handgun or plan on shooting even 50 yards or more I'd prefer adjustable sights.

When it comes to Vaqueros, I like the larger frame guns. I am almost 64 and was alive and watched a LOT of Westerns back in the day. I like the western style handguns. With enough work you can find a load that's pretty close to POA with many Vaqueros. If you can't send your gun, the distance to the target and what the round is and they can turn the barrel so the POA will be proper. Sometimes it's filing down the back sight. You sure aren't going to break off part of your sight falling off a horse or ATV with a Vaquero. Course I've only had that happen once (breaking a sight) so it's not like it's an every day occurrence.

If you want dual cylinders you are probably better of to go with adjustable sights. Either way you are going to have fun. I also agree with Varminterror if you are going to hunt the caliber SHOULD start with a 4. In a pinch a 357 Mag WITH THE CORRECT BULLET could save your bacon. For just all around paper punching the 357, 44 Special, and 45 Colt are fun.

Do yourself a favor and go out and watch a couple of CAS shoots. Before you know it you may be shooting. If that is the case you might lean toward a Vaquero, although IIRC they are allowing blackhawks and considering them period correct, not sure why. Have fun.

Barkis

Bearcat
SargeMO said:
Those old 45 Colts are dangerous pistols. If you ain't careful, every one you let in the house will replace the two or three 357's.

This is exactly the fear that keeps me up at night!