Buffalo Bore heavy .44 Special in SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChadMR82

Bearcat
Thinking about trying the Buffalo Bore heavy .44 special loads in my Ruger Super Blackhawk. I already killed my buck in Indiana with my bow so I will be shooting this gun at does within 30 yards. I think it is more than plenty after looking at the numbers for it. I am just getting into handgun hunting so your information is valueable to me. Thanks.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
So you're looking at 30yrd whitetail deer hunting with a 44mag Super Blackhawk...

What made you pick the 44spcl Buffalo Bore Heavy (assuming you're talking about the 255grn @1,000fps load?)? Not that it's particularly expensive, but pretty much any 180-300grn bullet in the 44mag will kill deer quickly at 30yrds or less, and that's a kinda specific specialty round. It'll be lighter recoiling than 44mag standard loads, so is that your goal?

ajw65

Bearcat
Not sure of that bullets profile, but i would have no problem with that. I use a 45 colt with those same numbers.

ChadMR82

Bearcat
Yes, I am looking for a less recoiling round until I get more use to hunting with a handgun. Yes I am looking at the 255 grain load. I have tried other rounds but my accuracy suffers after a few rounds. I just want less recoil, but still get good penetration.

The .44 mag is a great round but I have always had interest in the "niche" .44 special round. I do not know why but this 255 grain .44 special round intrigues me. I am sure it will fit the bill for my purposes. I plan to switch to .44 mag once I feel more comfortable.

ChadMR82

Bearcat
255 gr.S.W.C.(Keith-type)G.C.(1,000fps/M.E.566 ft.lbs.)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=89

Here is the link to the specific bullet I am referring to in case anyone is interested.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Gotcha...

Well in that case, it will do exactly what you're asking. Low recoiling round (relatively) that still hits like a truck.

ChadMR82 said:
Thinking about trying the Buffalo Bore heavy .44 special loads in my Ruger Super Blackhawk. I already killed my buck in Indiana with my bow so I will be shooting this gun at does within 30 yards. I think it is more than plenty after looking at the numbers for it. I am just getting into handgun hunting so your information is valueable to me. Thanks.

Not a doubt in my mind that bullet will work well. Fact is I just got a new 44 Special stainless Flat Top. I'm pumped. I plan on ordering the same round. Should still be pushing close to 1200 fps at 30 yards. Probably never find the bullet. Have fun.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I shoot those, just make sure your truck ain't behind the deer. I've also noticed, recoil doesn't feel all that much different from some GP 44 Mag, with the exception of Winchester white box 240's and Rem 180's, them things kick.

I don't know where that 1200fps at 30 yards figure came from off Item 14/B, but they clock right at 1005 out of my 4 3/4" barrel.

I just bought a pile of them 255's off midway during a sale of substantial savings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2118195819/buffalo-bore-ammunition-44-special-255-grain-lead-keith-type-semi-wadcutter-gas-check

To be quite honest, I'd go for the 44mag 225gr Hornady or Barnes.

Item 14B - Exterior Ballistics Charts for several Muzzle Velocities

Muzzle Velocity @ 1300 fps for Item 14B

It seems there is conflicting information on the advertising.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=89

Read all the way down. I could certainly be mistaken.

deet

Bearcat
I have hunted and killed many whitetails in Indiana over the years. The 44 mag in a handgun is ok at best, as long as you keep your shots less than 50 yards. The 44 spl is not very good on deer, the ones I shot usually run 75-100 yards before expiring. I have zero experience with the 44 spl buffalo stuff, so it might be a bit better than what I used. I have used a 44 mag rifle since 2005 and use 240 gr magnum loads. I have taken deer at 100yards but that is a stretch for the round. Last year I lung shot a buck twice at 50 yards with a JHP 240gr bullet and both bullets were recovered in the deers shoulder. I had to shot him a third time in the heart to get him to die. I love the 44 magnum, but in a handgun shots need to be close for a kill.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
The info posted at Buffalo Bore is not conflicting, there is some unnecessary information and a funky layout that could confuse some folks.

I'll say this about Buff Bore, given the size of their boxes, the info layout could very well be there for the reader to see whatever they want to see...Deception!

I've found the greatest success with a 44 mag on deer is to use whatever you would choose to use on a human.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
thats about the numbers I load in magnum brass for my M29. For the same reasons you mention, It's just funner! Good luck

Varminterror

Blackhawk
deet said:
I have hunted and killed many whitetails in Indiana over the years. The 44 mag in a handgun is ok at best, as long as you keep your shots less than 50 yards. The 44 spl is not very good on deer, the ones I shot usually run 75-100 yards before expiring. I have zero experience with the 44 spl buffalo stuff, so it might be a bit better than what I used. I have used a 44 mag rifle since 2005 and use 240 gr magnum loads. I have taken deer at 100yards but that is a stretch for the round. Last year I lung shot a buck twice at 50 yards with a JHP 240gr bullet and both bullets were recovered in the deers shoulder. I had to shot him a third time in the heart to get him to die. I love the 44 magnum, but in a handgun shots need to be close for a kill.

Based on your statements about the effective range of the 44mag on deer out of a handgun as well as a rifle, I can say that you and I have had very different experiences with the 44mag on whitetail deer.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Yup.....had no issues thus far with a 44 mag in my 6 1/2" smith dx.

Have taken several over 100 yards. Plus a couple longer pokes. One at 180 yards. 1 at 201. All by laser range finder.

Normally I use 240 Sierra jhp. And it's not a hot load.

Place the shot right and it's as good as anything on game.