Magnumitis

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After going to the East coast meet, and shooting My .357's(blackhawk and sp), Redhawk .44 mag, and Contender's .480 clearing the tables of the steel plates. Well I have it bad. It has been all I can do to keep from running out and buying an .480 Alaskan. To try and put salve on the inflammation, I have been shooting the Redhawk with 3/4 max loads. Sigh, if I just hadn't retired early. Guess I will "Save Up"!
gramps

Varminterror

Blackhawk
You tell it brother!

I'm a Magnumite myself... It's getting pretty bad lately. I just picked up 3 "Mags" yesterday in various flavors:

Ruger Single Six 4 5/8" 32 H&R MAG
Ruger Redhawk 7.5" 357 MAG
Ruger Redhawk 2.75" 44 MAG

Too bad the 454C doesn't have "Mag" in the name... I picked up 2 new ones this year, plus 3 more 44mag Vaqueros and a 44mag Alaskan... Other than the Cassulls, I guess the only "non-mag" I got was a Convertible 45colt/45acp Vaquero...

contender

Ruger Guru
Hee hee hee! Another one discovers the pleasures of the 480!

I will say that when the 480 came out,,, I figured I didn't "need" one. A buddy of mine just had to have one for bear hunting. I assisted him in ordering it & all. I made him promise that when decided to sell it,,, I'd get first refusal. Well, 2 years later,, I got "the call." My Super Redhawk came to me boxed, with a scope, a couple boxes of ammo, some brass, an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster, some 308 TAP ammo, & 2 Colt Woodsman magazines. (He found the other stuff & throwed it all in.) He asked the fancy sum of $475 for it all. Well,, I hemmed & hawwed a bit over the scratch in the barrel where he let the gun take a tumble,,, & finally agreed to the purchase. When I got to shooting it,,, I decided I was wrong about not needing the gun. It just makes me smile and that's as good a reason as any!

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Now that you have identified the disease I hope you are working on a cure. I live in fear that some day my idiot brother's so far dormant OMB gene will kick in and he will follow my uncle's footsteps and start building revolvers in insane calibers. The 45-70 revolver was bad enough, I wouldn't put it past Bubba to go with .444 Rem magnum to go with his Marlin of that caliber.

I prefer to have more guns in the same caliber than more guns in different calibers. Since I have shot 44's for years I kept telling myself I don't need a 480. Have to say I have been weakening. I have bid on a couple 480's on GB but haven't bought one yet.

Rclark

Hunter
I'm at the age (50) where blast, recoil, noise, stinging palms do nothing for me... Actually hasn't for some years now.... So I guess that means I am finally over Magnumitis for good :) . Nice feeling actually to be 'free' of the disease :p . I am testing a .32 H&R Mag baby Vaquero .. but only up to around 1100fps by the chronograph which doesn't count as 'Magnum' loads for it. <sigh>

I too know the feeling. After shooting Contender's .357 mag Redhawk I was hooked. I too don't NEED one but I have been looking, and found two. Now all I need is the courage to drop the $$ on one of them. I am beginning to think Contender is a bad influence on some of us. :roll: :shock:

gramps said:
After going to the East coast meet, and shooting My .357's(blackhawk and sp), Redhawk .44 mag, and Contender's .480 clearing the tables of the steel plates. Well I have it bad. It has been all I can do to keep from running out and buying an .480 Alaskan. To try and put salve on the inflammation, I have been shooting the Redhawk with 3/4 max loads. Sigh, if I just hadn't retired early. Guess I will "Save Up"!
gramps

Gramps, there is a nice one in the classifieds in the Alaskan variation. Like you I'm "retired". My dilemma is I like buying real estate, and I like buying guns. :) I know you can relate to at least one of those. So I work part time selling real estate and making a few extra bucks, plus it get's me out of the house. I can see you working in a gun shop, course that would be like a druggie selling medical marijuana. :) Have fun. We all need our toys.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sheesh,,, I've been called a bad influence,,, by folks who appear to appreciate Rugers! All because I just enjoy seeing smiles when they try a model they've wanted to try & they find they like it! Don't we always tell folks to "try one out before you buy one" if at all possible?
Miss Penny has even accused me of "creating a monster," due to her involvement in the shooting sports & her being so outgoing now. I just say; "I didn't create the monster,,, I just held the door open & let the monster run through!"

Ok,, so I've opened a few doors here too!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
I'm at the age (50) where blast, recoil, noise, stinging palms do nothing for me... Actually hasn't for some years now.... So I guess that means I am finally over Magnumitis for good :) . Nice feeling actually to be 'free' of the disease :p . I am testing a .32 H&R Mag baby Vaquero .. but only up to around 1100fps by the chronograph which doesn't count as 'Magnum' loads for it. <sigh>

Agreed! I never did develop a severe case of magnumitus.

I have a SBH but haven't shot it in many, many years. (Might sell it.)

The only magnum I shoot is the .32 H&R Magnum, which isn't exactly in the same class as the .357/.44 mags.

I do also have a S&W M627 .357 Magnum, but it has only seen .38 Short Colt ammo. Only used for competition.

The above calibers and the .44 Special do all I need - and are more pleasant and fun to shoot, especially when putting large quantities of ammo downrange.

Don't misunderstand - I have nothing against magnums. They obviously DO have their place. I just determined I don't have the desire nor need.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Now you will need a die set so you can reload for it.
Factory ammo is WAY to expensive for us old retired guys.
MY 9.5 SRH in 480 has never had a factory round fired in it after leaving the factory.
I am now casting a WFP 375 grain Gas Check bullet for it also.

I traded in my first one, a 7.5 SRH. My local gun shop still has it. I was surprised that no one has snatched it up yet.

Both of mine are the older Target Grey finish ones.
Deer Season here in Missouri is only 3 weeks away. I need to get some range time in with mine shortly. The wife will be gone trailriding most of next week. That might be a perfect time to get to shooting and loading for it.

Enjoy

Bob R

Pal Val

Buckeye
Fine going! Just don't develop a reputation. When I go to the club, the RO automatically points me to the last lane in the range, then warns the others that I'll be firing hand cannons. Just for fun, I usually start with a .22.

Luckily at my range you grab a key and let yourself in. During the week I am quite often the only one there. Makes it great for checking targets etc.

This one is the target gray in 7.5". I definitely will be loading for it. By the time I get it I will be heading back to work and then get home late the night before gun season. Be using my Redhawk 44 with a red dot or my 44 Encore with a 2x Nikon scope the first season.

Contender you definitely have opened doors-Pandora's Box maybe? :) it appears I am going to need a small job ( can't make more than 15k/year). WOrking in a gun store Hmmm that would be interesting!
gramps