Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilcotin

Bearcat
In early 80's did Ruger do a special edition Blackhawk in 45 colt with the grip frame silver or polished and a
6 1/2 inch barrel. A friend came in my office today and wants to sell one from his uncle, I have several Rugers
but never seen one like this any idea on value. Thanks for any info you can provide.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't remember such a thing, but on the other hand, there's been many BH's that's had their aluminum grip frames polished (by the owner) to look like the one you describe.
As to your "value" question;
Me personaly, I wouldn't pay any extra for one just because the factory finish has been removed from the grip frame. In fact, I'd be more inclinded to pay less due to the gun being visably altered....which to me at least, allways begs the question....what else may have been tinkered with while the gun was apart?
What I'm getting at there is that these days, it seems that everybody thinks they are a gun smith, and Ruger's BH is one of the most "been tinkered with" revolvers that I know of.....so be carefull of what you're buying.

No offense meant to anyone.

DGW

Kanook

Buckeye
Yesterday I couldn't spell "Kitchen Table", today I'm a Gunsmith ;)

Chance

Buckeye
In 1979 Ruger supplied 250 4 5/8" 45lc Blackhawks to the Arizona Rangers that had stainless grip frames. Ruger has done a lot of special runs. Ruger has a very large kitchen table

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Check the grip frame with a magnet. If it sticks it's stainless steel and if it does have a 6 1/2" barrel, you may just have something more than just a 'kitchen table' gun. Of course replacing the alloy GF with stainless or blue steel GFs is a very popular modification on Ruger SAs and so are shortened barrels, but not as common.