Help with holster selection

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jim Walsh

Bearcat
I have a .44 mag. Anniversary Blackhawk that's been sitting in my safe for a few years. I'm confused about which holster it fits. This is the holster description from shop ruger.com:
Bianchi® Lawman™ right-handed, tan, leather holster is compatible with large frame, 6.5" barrels for Ruger® New Model Blackhawk®, New Model Super Blackhawk®, New Model Blackhawk® Bisley™, Ruger New Vaquero®, Ruger New Vaquero® Bisley™, and Bird's Head New Vaquero single-action revolvers. This holster is not designed to fit extra-large frame Ruger Vaquero® and Blackhawk® models. This suede-lined, hi-ride, open-muzzle holster features the Ruger logo on the body of the holster and on the snap of the holster strap. The double-stitched belt loop is designed for belts 1.75" to 2.25" wide.
Will this fit my model?

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Jim welcome to the forum.
I think is should fit too, but as Big Old Boy says if it doesn't send it back.
Bianchi is a reputable holstermaker & should stand behind their products.

DGW1949

Hunter
In my experience, the Bianchi Lawman has allways been sized just right for Colt's SAA and the Ruger OM-357. What that means in relation to your question is that the "big frame" NM guns (like your .44 Mag) will indeed fit if forced into place, but the fit will be way-too tight untill it's used enough for the leather to stretch. The suede lining is somewhat problematic too, in that it causes drag during the draw untill the fibers get smoothed-down from use.
You may also note that the Lawman was never intended to be used with a pants belt, hence the 2-1/4" belt slot...which BTW, is the exact width of a conventional "duty belt".....hence the term "Lawman".

In other words, what you're looking at there is a dern-good holster which will likely last you a lifetime...but they aint for everybody, and they certainly aint a "one size fits all" proposition.

Hope that helped.

DGW

Latest posts