300 grain loads in 45 flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Wanna load some 300 gr cast in my flattop. Book max is 6.1 gr of Unique. Sounds anemic. What yall runnin? This is for my midframe 45 Colt, not the large frame.

medicdave

Blackhawk
Brian Pearce has some interesting data for the mid frame 45. He also had an article in hand loader about prepping one for a bear hunt with his son. They found the 270-saa bullet to be the best performing in their revolver pushed right around 1000fps. Can't find that one though. I did find his article on the 270-saa with 2 tiers of loads. The midframe is good for their 2, tier 3 being large frame only.

http://buffalobore.net/HandloaderDecJan2012.pdf

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/pdf/hl%20246partial.pdf

Joe S.

Hunter
Hutch
Yea i know. But my hand (or the gun) cant handle 25 grains of H110!! :mrgreen:

Thanks dave!

tek4260

Buckeye
I'm not sure about 300gr bullets, but my mid frame flattop and my Uberti like 12gr of HS-6 with 280gr bullets. I'll dig into the books and see what they say bout that bullet at HS-6

What bullet and what is the seating depth?

FWIW, my 45 Colt loads with a shallow seating 300gr bullet run closer to 27gr of H110 :lol:

Joe S.

Hunter
GEEZ!! Ha

It is a flat point. Seating at the cannulure i think will fit. Just no room for seating shallow.

Joe S.

Hunter
I loaded a few piddly loads last night with WW231 simply bc i had it in the measure. Will swap out to either 296, 2400, or Unique next

Jim Puke

Hunter
Joe S. said:
I ran 9 rounds loaded with 20 grains of 296 today. Did fine.

Never said it wouldn't shoot them. That load is right at the beginning load for Ruger Only loads...it will take a toll on your mid frame revolver if you shoot them in it regularly.

Joe S.

Hunter
Reading Brian Pearce's article linked above on the flattop he said Ruger says +P loads for ACP are no problem for the gun. According to his article that load is in that range. I wont shoot it regularly but it's nice to know i can if i decide to take it in an area where i need more punch than a SAA load will provide.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Joe S. said:
Reading Brian Pearce's article linked above on the flattop he said Ruger says +P loads for ACP are no problem for the gun. According to his article that load is in that range. I wont shoot it regularly but it's nice to know i can if i decide to take it in an area where i need more punch than a SAA load will provide.

It will certainly handle that job and shooting them in hunting type situations will pose no problem.